Fly Tying
fshng2

March 2019 Flies From the Vise

Mike, she's soon to be 98. She likes the process of tying and the colors. I tie, she's lays them our the way she thinks they should be, I mount them. I call them "long term" loans.

A handful of foam spiders for panfish (I admit I love fly-fishing for bluegills - but I can stop anytime).

l0RCxAR.jpg

Qso2nX5.jpg

Pretty straight forward - but I do add a dubbing of synthetic Fly Fur and then snip the topside flush to the hook so I can CA the foam body. That keeps it from turning on the shank in use.

Also - instead of a "Hopper and dropper" I sometimes make a "Spider and Rider" and use them as indicators over a nymph. Hence the poly yarn tuft.

Very cool, Noah. And very nice of you to do it.

I like those foam spiders. Something I've never tied up, but I keep thinking I should.

Real nice Noah, you made some great looking shadow boxes for the last ones.

I'm sure your mother will enjoy having these to look at and enjoy.

Great stuff Cream as always but if I used premade legs/bodies around here I would be scolded by the "purists".... I saw somewhere where somebody used a woven cord or like that for a buggy looking body. Later DL

I'm one of the type that simply doesn't care what people want to say or think. If it works for me and it helps me catch fish, I'll use it. I've had carp guys give me the old "you don't need to use an indicator for carp" garbage before. Well, they aren't fishing where I am, with no ability to see the fish eat the fly. In a game where you might only get a few eats a day, I'm not about to risk missing them for pride. But that's me.

post-57957-0-25887400-1552339076_thumb.jpg This morning I didnt know what a higa sos was, but they intrigued me, so I tyed up a couple. What do you think the 12 on the point and the 16 about 18" up? I think it might work, and thanks to the guys on that string.

Outstanding consistency on those flies by Eide (Post #100). That's what I always strived for when I was tying commercially (and not just for one order - but the second one, months, maybe years later...). Being able to tie the same pattern to the same exact dimensions and colors time after time... that's a real skill...