Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

The best vise ever

I could make an extended stem tube on the base and make the stem height adjustable from say six to ten inches.

I was fixing to mention this, it's how I did my old "A" forty years ago and it still suits me. I like ~8" because my base always collects stuff and the height leaves room for the big clumsy paws to work and for the bobbin to hang.

The the fluted/filigreed tube could thread into the base so that all could fit flat in the case of heavy leather with ivory fittings.

You might blue the damascus with acid fumes in cabinet to take the glare off, not sure how that would look, but it could be nicer.

It sure is going to be an investment, I suspect you might make some parts more than once.

Charlie, Mark said in the OP that he was using "Law style jaws". I think he has what was a TRV to work from.

if youre gonna use the hmh trv vise jaws as your model, make it with cam locking jaws. that 4 spoke locking wheel just doesnt cut it.

XQsvmEE.jpg

Charlie, Mark said in the OP that he was using "Law style jaws". I think he has what was a TRV to work from.

Ah. Lower case "aw" didn't catch my eye.

But I do see Faruk Ekich has plowed this row already.

ultimatePair.jpg

Charlie, yes I have an HMH TRV, I intended to use the LAW style jaws as my model. Nothing in my vise is necessarily going to be like any other vise, except that I want it to be a true rotary vise. I'm taking suggestions and drawing on my own preferences to make what I hope will be a very nice vise to tie on and a pleasure to own.

It will not be drab in color, people like shiny things. You won't need to wear sunglasses to tie on it but it is intended to be a functional piece of furniture that people will want to look at.

The Ekich vise is a LAW copy, this will not be a reiteration of his.

I've been struggling with the clamping mechanism of the vise. Norm has strong feelings against the clamp screw the HMH has. I have found it less than perfect, but nothing will be perfect in everyone's eyes. More on that later.

The stem height is a very variable thing, on my Regal it's 11 inches and I like that very much. It puts the vise at eye level with the height of my bench, the height of my chair and my height. The important thing is how much room is under the vise for work.

The stem height on my HMH is only 7 1/2 inches. The vise is below eye level on my bench but more importantly, it doesn't have enough room below it for some things I try to do like swing a bobbin under a piece of longer material being held down by hackle pliers.

I'm thinking of an adjustable height of 9 to 11 inches.

Mark's TRV after basic mods http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87715&page=10&do=findComment&comment=735713

why he started this project I suspect.

That would work for me. I used to tie on a coffee table and the sofa, taller made it better. I think a compression nut on the tube might be better over time than a set screw, or make the stem taller, skip the tube and let vise float on the stem for adjustment.

one thing to be aware of is - patents, copywrites, trademarks etc whatever. do your homework before you get started

renzetti sued people for copying parts of their vises (the bent arm i beleive)

That's a good point. I'm not building anything for profit or going into production so I should be safe. Thanks

Norm has strong feelings against the clamp screw the HMH has. I have found it less than perfect, but nothing will be perfect in everyone's eyes. More on that later.

The stem height is a very variable thing, on my Regal it's 11 inches and I like that very much. It puts the vise at eye level with the height of my bench, the height of my chair and my height. The important thing is how much room is under the vise for work.

The stem height on my HMH is only 7 1/2 inches. The vise is below eye level on my bench but more importantly, it doesn't have enough room below it for some things I try to do like swing a bobbin under a piece of longer material being held down by hackle pliers.

I agree with the lever for hook tension. I like that on all I have used.

A riser/sleeve and post gives a range of adjustment for height with no "visible" excess; except a grub screw or maybe thumb screw. Adds weight low as well. The two inch range would be a good solution for most.

But tjm's idea about the vise arm and head being able to move up and down on a post is a good one. That way you keep the same arm geometry. Like the table on a drill press that can be cranked up or down the column as needed and locked.

I think that a post sticking up above my vise would bug me. I'm often using that space for my left hand and arm when holding materials to tie in.

I think that a post sticking up above my vise would bug me. I'm often using that space for my left hand and arm when holding materials to tie in.

Not only would it bug me but it would keep me from buying a vise with it, no matter how cheap or how expensive the vise.

You have the fly at eye level? Your tying a fly with your hands above your shoulders and your head and back straight?

I couldn't do that for three reasons.

1) I can't work with my hands that high for very long. I inherited bad circulation from my Dad, and my hands would "go to sleep".

2) I wear bifocals. I imagine a lot of people do. If my vise was at eye level, I'd have to tilt my head back to see what I was doing.

3) I like to see the top of the fly. It's where everything is tied in, and I like/need to see what's going on there.

Just points to consider.

My hand's only 3" wide. I could work beside a post. How far is it between the nose and the big wheel on the left of the HMH?

But carry on.

The post would be in the way when I went from holding materials to the big wheel on the HMH. It would be an obstruction there. Obnoxious and gross. JMHO smile.png smile.png