Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

The best vise ever

The stem height is a very variable thing, on my Regal it's 11 inches and I like that very much. It puts the vise at eye level with the height of my bench, the height of my chair and my height. The important thing is how much room is under the vise for work.

You have the fly at eye level? Your tying a fly with your hands above your shoulders and your head and back straight?

I couldn't do that for three reasons.

1) I can't work with my hands that high for very long. I inherited bad circulation from my Dad, and my hands would "go to sleep".

2) I wear bifocals. I imagine a lot of people do. If my vise was at eye level, I'd have to tilt my head back to see what I was doing.

3) I like to see the top of the fly. It's where everything is tied in, and I like/need to see what's going on there.

Just points to consider.

Probably just below eye level and above my shoulders. To my brain, it makes sense to have the fly straight up and down in the vise and look straight at the side. It's easier for me to know everything is plumb.

So, is it the big wheel that's a design fault or the post? ;-)

I just checked the two I tie on and one is & 7" off the table to the head with the jaws at 8" and the other is 8-3/4" (rotary) with the jaws at that height. Little crank & no wheel. Both have a bit of height adjustment that I have not changed from fully "down". Bifocals - as mentioned above.

Not defending the post idea. Just thought it was an interesting way to have that adjustment feature,

if you need a vise jaw that slides on a vertical shaft, get a predator vise

bo6X1gS.jpg

This is on my bucket list bad I think this guy nailed it

My idea of a taller post design was similar to the Predator shown above, which til now I'd never seen, but the post is not in line with the jaws or wheel. It does allow a gallows and light to be mounted above the vise (and away from the tyer) with no other supports in the way and could also have the bobbin cradle above so that it is less in the way. Just something that popped into my head and it strays away from the artistic theme. Useful maybe but ugly probably.

I too would not want the fly any more than shoulder high or lower, for similar reasons as Mike, but some of that is in relative height of table and chair as well as torso length. Looking down at an angle allows both sides to be seen simultaneously and makes easier to keep proportions and alignment equal, I think. When the table is a bit tall, I find my self setting the fly/jaws at an angle so that I have a similar view.

Regal and Traveler are two popular vises (I've not used either) and some of that popularity must be in the height and other proportions, might be a reference for design.

The people from Casting for Recovery have contacted me and received my vise project with open arms. So now it's official, the vise will be at their fund raising event in MT in Sept. Now all I have to do is build the vise.

Cant wait to see this vise. Like others, I think building the vise for a particular purpose while also keeping it SUPER clean and simple with high quality materials and craftsmanship will do more than adding every feature possible.

Good luck with it!

I like the idea. Perhaps make some matching tools w ivory inserts to match? Clippers or scissors, bodkin, hackle pliers, whip finish tool, etc.

If I was to undertake this project (and I may someday), I would read the following article first. The vise looks dandy to me!

"Let's Tie One On", by Peter Stenabaugh, Vol 15, number 4, Jul 2002, Machinist's Workshop.

If you are able to locate a copy, please let me know. I didn't see it among the "back issues" at the magazine website, but phoning them may be more effective.

51XSJWQ992L._SY445_.jpg

I like the idea. Perhaps make some matching tools w ivory inserts to match? Clippers or scissors, bodkin, hackle pliers, whip finish tool, etc.

Yep, that's in the plans.