Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What do you do at your day job?

dogfacedoc...It is people like you in your first job that is the reason my brother is alive. Thank you and all Medics. It is you second job why many of my family and friends are alive today...and I have so many stitch scars.

I still talk to my soldiers as often as I can. Some every day, just to make sure they're doing well. They called me Doc(hence the screenname) which is earned, not given.

I’m retired now. Prior to that, Manufacturer’s Rep for captal equipment, mixers, heat transfer equipment, metering pumps. Before that, special applications and National Sales Mgr. for a metering pump company. Now it’s fly fishing, photography and BBQ.

I'm now into my 3rd year enjoying retirement. I started working straight out of college back in 1970 in Steel Manufacturing as a design Draftsman. Did that for a total of 15 yrs at 3 different companies. Was promoted into Production Supervision at the 3rd company after 10 yrs, but as free trade started to remove much of the manufacturing jobs here in Canada, the company closed after my 17 yrs there. Next move was into plastic injection moulding as a Production Supervisor, but when I reached the golden age of 56, I was given the big brown envelope along with many of my senior co-workers...…( cost savings BS by top management. )

Finding myself out of work for the first time in my life in 2006, I spent many hours de-stressing by fishing and fly tying when I had time free from job hunting. Due to the lack of good paying jobs in my area, I went back to school in 2007 and earned my credentials as a PSW (Personal Support Worker) and worked in Long Term Care Nursing until February 2016. By that time, I had had enough of working full time and was ready to retire. Thankfully, I had started my home based business ( Flies, Rod & Reel Service ) back in 1996 as a future plan for retirement and had worked hard during my off-work hours to gain my Professional Custom Rod Builder Certification in Aug 2007. My business has grown steadily since it's birth in Sept 1996 and I now spend many hours each week custom building, repairing or restoring damaged fishing rods for all anglers. This still leaves me time to enjoy fishing, fly tying, my Springer Spaniel and of course time with my wonderful wife.

I run a waste hauling company here in central North Carolina. There’s cash in trash.

Welcome to the active side of the site, DC.

I’m happy to finally be able to type something.

I'm a long time member but haven't been here much lately. Too many other things going in my life. I'm semi-retired, in that I haven't applied for Social Security yet. I relocated from MD to SC in 2015, have been living below the poverty level, and doing better than I was previously.

I started a tackle business two years ago, and have been tying flies & making lures.I now live within sight of Lake Marion, one of the Santee Cooper lakes.

Also, I drive a tractor trailer for a company out of Myrtle Beach that puts on dance competitions. Only work from Feb to July, and get to travel all over the country, with my wife, and stay in some very nice resorts & other places!

Retired heavy truck mechanic. got bored and went back to work as a mechanic repairing racing go carts it keeps me young and gives me something to do. I plan to retire from that in 3 more years after my wife retires then I will be a part time traveler.

20 Years of being a graphic designer who spends his days wondering how he ended up sitting behind a computer for 9 hours a day. :(

Thats why fly fishing is so important to me. Without the peace and beauty I find on the river I'm not sure I could stick this life.

Was in manufacturing before I graduated high school in 1977. Started at Parker-Hannifin Tube Fittings (Parker) de-burring parts. Worked in shipping and receiving as well as running screw machines and CNC turning centers. Then went to school and worked my way into engineering and was a Tool Design/Process Engineer when I left in 97.

Went to a forging company as a CNC Programming Engineer and moved into Die Shop Manager.

Came to Allison Transmission in 2010 as a Manufacturing Engineer. Hoping to retire in the next 2 to 5 years.

Also made wooden basket bases for a few years while working a day job.

Former Uncle Sam's Misguided Child...... U.S.M.C. officer, but ....for the last 40 years a Southern Baptist Minister. I know that's an oxymoron but ........it happened!

I grew up in South Louisiana so chunking popping bugs is in my blood, I have only recently found the wonderful new materials....always spun and stacked deer hair......it's like being in love again!

I'm in southwest Georgia now the heart of quail country so in my not fishing off time I'm chasing birds with an English Pointer and a Field-bred English Cocker. When I figure out how to post pictures I'll put some up.

Semper Fi!

JH

Right now i am working on my inventory for my fly tying bussiness.