Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Year of the carp

We've got some big ones in a pond near me, I've tried to get them a few times no luck yet, I'm sure if I ever get one it will be quite entertainin.

I love fishing carp on the fly. Walk The shore line until you find a fish within casting distance feeding. Look for a mud cloud with a tail sticking out. Get positioned ahead of where it looks like it's going so you're line doesn't end up across it's back. Cast 3 to 5 feet in front of it and wait. When you think the fish is about a foot away from the fly, give it one short strip to just move the fly a few inches at most. If you see for get sucked up, great. But more often than not your just reading the fish's body language to know when to set the hook. It's both still and slow moving and super exciting at the same time. If your in a shake lake a 5wt is fine. If you're in moving water the flies will be heavier and the fish will fight harder, so go with a 7wt.

Great tips, thank you! I have a 6 or an 8 and will probably try both. What flies would you reccomend? I most likely will be creek fishing.

Some more carp flies. Another weekend or two and my carp box may be full. Strangely it's looking like a small mouth box.

post-48414-0-05806400-1580661708_thumb.jpg

I am mostly a smallie guy but there are times when we target both common carp and grass carp. I never use more than a 6 wt line and always wish to go smaller if possible for less line to water slap. I like long leaders, 10 ft minimum and often go 12 ft with a 10 lb flouro tippet. The fly below is one I use a lot because it represents both large nymphs and small craws. Black, rust and olive are great producers for us and don't forget simple woolly buggers or even an egg pattern. The Clouser nymph can also be productive. For the grass carp below, floating cicada imitations can work though a friend of mine takes more than his share with a ridiculously simple fly made from only Flashabou. Carp fishing can be frustrating at times and believe me, even when you do everything correct, a good skunking is always possible

post-1861-0-32789500-1580756385_thumb.jpg

post-1861-0-09687100-1580757010_thumb.jpg

post-1861-0-11537300-1580757642_thumb.jpg

Mark, I didn't know you are fluent in Vietnamese. That's impressive.

Robo7, I shall add some rubber legs to a swimming nymph. Thanks for the tips.

We have some big carp in a local river and i have never seen anyone fishing for them. Will tie up some of those flies when i can tie again. Look like lots of fun.

I would say it's mostly an untapped resource in my local area. I do know the guys that fly fish for them seem to really enjoy it. Having accidentally caught them on spinning gear I can understand why. What I don't understand is why I've waited so long to give it a go myself.