Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

The lure building post

I haven't made a lure in sometime but Marling makes me chuckle. Maybe we can get him into fly tying.

He makes me laugh too, and he seems to be quite a craftsman.

I agree with vicente. I want a lower profile for the trout on those picky days.

A spinner I made. It was actualally pretty ez.

attachicon.gif IMG_20200204_0825441_rewind_kindlephoto-27452251.jpg

It looks nice. The spinning of the loop is the trickiest part.

Do you have a wire spinning jig, or did you "wing it" with pliers?

Silver salmon are particularly eager to grab larger spinners with orange and silver on them. You may need to make them with single hooks for some waters.

Of course, pike will grab them too, especially well with dressed trebles.

I have lots of spinner making supplies I could share with you if you'll remind me the next time you come over.

So, i made a couple of lures today. I could have done better on the painting.

This is supposed to be a bluegill. Lets just say I don't have the required paint.

post-64672-0-33927900-1580960112_thumb.jpg

This is an in line spinner with horrible paint job of a perch.

post-64672-0-93064500-1580960331_thumb.jpg

I actually made that a couple of months ago, but the paint was messed up.

This is where I got the inspiration for the in line spinner.

Tier, you're making some good looking lures! 👍 👍

I make a lot of lures, but mostly jigs. I tried making a balsa wood crankbait when I was a kid, and actually caught some fish on it. It was through wired and hand shaped it, and added a piece of plastic as the lip. It looked great in the water, and as I said, I caught a few fish on it, but then it broke. The glue that held the lip wasn't the correct type. The whole thing had several coats of fingernail polish. 

Since, then I never tried another lure like that but got into pouring lead and making jigs and other lead based lures. That goes along better with fly tying, since I use a good bit of hair and tie the skirts on all the jigs, spinnerbaits or buzzbaits that I make. 

I don't make any wood lures now. Closest I make now are fly rod poppers. I also don't do any plastic baits. 

Here's several that I've made that involved tying. The jigs in the last photo, where just sent to a fellow who is in the military and stationed in Japan. 

0912.jpg

0931A.jpg

0926A.jpg

1196a.jpg

1160.jpg

1179a.jpg

1166a.jpg

1198a.jpg

Tier, I have some various jig heads and small spinnerbait heads sitting around that aren't getting used. If you would like to give some of them a try, I would be happy to send you a care package to see what you can come up with.  

That would give you some other variety to work with to further improve on your talents, and at the same time perhaps you can work on some tying. If you can tie jigs like some that I've shown here, you can tie flies.  😉

Tidewaterfly, that would be awesome! I was actually going to tie jigs the next video i do. I'll send you my address.