Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Aberdeen hooks

Anyone use Aberdeen light wire hooks for warm water top water baits? They are light, but I worry about strength.

Walmart ... Eagle Claw ... Aberdeen Hooks. 80% of my flies are tied on those.

14# leader with 10# tippet. If I get snagged, I can (sometimes) straighten the hook with a steady pull. Usually, the line snaps first.

Largest fish on one ... about 6 pound Largemouth.

All my shad spoons are light wire Aberdeen hooks. shad in heavy current do nothing to them. bass can't hold a candle to the fight of a shad in heavy spring river flows. As Mike said they will straighten before breaking but that doesn't mean they straighten easy. I've bent them and bent them back a number of times with no ill effect. Tie away with no worries.

I use for poppers, clousers, wooly buggers, certain streamers. I have them up to size 3/0. As already said, they're useful in areas with lots of rocks or snags. I use a heavier leader than Mike does so the hook will usually bend before the line breaks.

A steady pull with 6# line in good shape will usually straighten them enough to pop free. Then, like Poopdeck, I have straightened them with no ill effects. Just about all I used to make jigs by the dozens unless I wanted an extra strong hook for pike or musky.