Fly Tying
fshng2

Poppers, Sliders & Divers Show Us Your Patterns

I do like that natural cork look of those poppers.  Actually more "buggy" than almost all painted poppers.

Nice Poppers PD, silli legs look good.

I like the frogs Philly, I will have to tie one.

Sneaky Pete

Hook: Herters #2 423R6XL

Head: Cork

Legs: FTD Bug Legs

Tail: Bk Strung Hackle/Yel Maribou

AidqWX1.jpg?1

10 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Actually it's a misspelled word play on "al dente" as in quick or slightly undercooked pasta. The correlation being the poppers are not painted so they are quick to make but not entirely done. 

Yeah, that makes more sense (al dente = undercooked (not entirely done) instead of soft).  In any case, they all look great.  I envy your productivity.  

Yeah Mike, i like the natural cork and I'm not sure why I paint so many of them. Winter blues I guess. I may try dying a few of them to see what that looks like.

Thanks Niveker but my productivity is maybe 6 to 8 flies a month on a good month. I bought a huge bag of cork popper bodies in all sizes and shapes about 20 years years ago. I used up all the large ones for floating striper jigs but I still have a hundred or more bass and panfish size bodies to use up. time to get cracking.

myBtIeV.jpg?1

JFMLk8M.jpg?1

Hook: Worm Offset Shank EWG 07143

Theory: Foam is flexible and can move closer to the hook shank allowing more of an exposed gap for a better hook up.

2 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Theory: Foam is flexible and can move closer to the hook shank allowing more of an exposed gap for a better hook up.

That's an exciting, new way to do it. Haven't seen that before. Cool.

fshng2 ... I'd love to see that in the water!  How much does the hook pull the rear down?  If it sits relatively level on the surface, that looks deadly, indeed!

vuizRAl.jpg?1

Thanks gang.

Denduke Wow does it dive/wiggle? It dives but doesn"t wiggle. Notice in photo I changed the lip to a coffin shape and made it wider hoping to get it to wiggle. Both lip types dive but this one can dive deeper depending how the lip is bent. At 45 deg it dives 3 in and at 20 deg it dives 10 in. Lip is made from a milk jug, bends easily, and retains it"s shape. (July 12 correction: the angle will change when it is fished longer)

MIke floats well and will turn over if it lands on it's side.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, fshng2 said:

That's a pretty cool, creative frog, fshng2

On 6/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, denduke said:

I just hope the double hooks up don’t make em land upside down😳

I got a report that they do land upside down, most of the time, but a quick strip will right them.  I've had some of the small pan fish ones with a single hook down land upside down but a quick strip always rights them.  I should have a chance to test them on my own in a couple weeks when I go up to Upper Saranac Lake for my grand niece's Christening.  I still haven't finished them all, so I sliced open the belly on one and inserted a worm weight on one so I'll so if that will get them to regularly land hook up.  It's possible I may have to use a thinner piece of foam for the belly.  Right now both halves are made with 6 mm foam.  If I get a chance I'll tie one up with a 3 mm foam belly and a 6 mm top and see what happens.  Maybe that will balance them.

Frog Fly

AjHFnaa.jpg?1

p7HY5i4.jpg?1

6D60mwX.jpg?1

9sDf0SK.jpg?1

sa0KnCs.jpg?1

I finally figured out how to make the fly dive and wiggle.

A wider lip with an angle from 22 to 45 degrees, and line tie placed further from the nose of the fly causes it to wiggle.

Tapering the nose helps some but not as much as mentioned above.

I chose an angle of 45 degrees as it seems to be optimum for wiggling, while still able to dive 3 to 10 inches depending on the speed of the retrieve.

To make it more of a diving fly is just a matter of decreasing the lip angle closer to 0 degrees.

Notes:

1. Angle of the lip is defined with the eye of the hook oriented vertically where 0 degrees is parallel to the hook shank.

2. Lip material changed to 2 thicknesses of a 2 liter soda bottle (PET) as this plastic is much stiffer than the milk bottle (HDPE).

The stiffer plastic (PET) prevents the lip angle from changing over time when fishing.

3. Hook: Mustad 9674 #1 5X Long