Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Fun with squirmy wormies

I do it like this except I prefer to glue it on from the topside as compared to the bottom side. The squirmy will glue up completely around the hook shank and close up looking like you impaled the hook thru the center. I've also learned that after heating up the bodkin to give it a quick wipe on a paper towel before touching it to the squirmy. Otherwise you may get a black line in the squirmy.

Very nice. Yeah, I'm not sure why he's coming up from the bottom. Seems easier from the top.

Mark, you may need to do a SBS on those egg patterns.

These are fun. I was getting too uptight and serious with my tying.

OK, maybe I will. It's a fun fly to tie.

Eggs are a real pain.....Tie a wad of it on try to get a whip finish trim melt ends very carefully. My image hosted is down. Not very durable.

I didn't think of melting the ends, nice touch.

Okay ... sometimes I don't like you guys very much. dry.png

I answered, "If it looked like fun, SURE !!!"

They never asked me again.> happy.png

Back to why I don't like you guys. huh.png I've gone years without tying actual "Squirmy Worms". Even after Rchmc gave me a bunch of pieces, I resisted the temptation.

But looking at all the ones tied here ... I decided to jump off that bridge. tongue.png

Orange with Emu clitellum.

Squirmy Wormies 02.jpg

Yellow with gold "polar flash" clitellum.

Squirmy Wormies 03.jpg

Blue tipped pink with blue "polar flash" clitellum.

Squirmy Wormies 04.jpg

Nice Mike! Welcome to the club. I think you will find the squirmy quite effective to boot. Perhaps a squirmy fishing video is in order. It's still a little chilly here so I won't be fishing them for another month.

I am trying different combos for a Junebug color. Bass worms in Junebug are purple and blue with purple and chartreuse glitter. Fantastic for bass. I will post photos soon.

Thanks, Greg.

This is my last week in Dayton, OH. I'll be home Saturday morning. I doubt I'll get out fishing this weekend, since I've been on the road 3 weeks. (Honey-do's do build up over that amount of time)

But I'm sincerely hoping to get on the water soon, and the Squirmy will be one of the flies I'll have tied on.

We'll see if any catches make it past the editing floor!

Okay ... sometimes I don't like you guys very much. dry.png

<aside: My parents once asked me the familiar question, "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?"

I answered, "If it looked like fun, SURE !!!"

They never asked me again.> happy.png

Back to why I don't like you guys. huh.png I've gone years without tying actual "Squirmy Worms". Even after Rchmc gave me a bunch of pieces, I resisted the temptation.

But looking at all the ones tied here ... I decided to jump off that bridge. tongue.png

Orange with Emu clitellum.

attachicon.gif Squirmy Wormies 02.jpg

Yellow with gold "polar flash" clitellum.

attachicon.gif Squirmy Wormies 03.jpg

Blue tipped pink with blue "polar flash" clitellum.

attachicon.gif Squirmy Wormies 04.jpg

Welcome to the dark side Buddy. Looking forward to your video. San Juan worms were a huge hit on my last trip for gills.

More wormie bugs

DSCF4824.thumb.JPG.b723d05005cfb6e3c884a01ba131f0bd.JPG

Chartreuse Bare Butt Caddis

DSCF4819-XL.jpg

Blue Bare Butt Caddis

DSCF4815-XL.jpg

I don't know what to call this but I bet it will catch something.

DSCF4807-XL.jpg

This one too, I'm going to try them out this summer for pike, sheefish and grayling. All of those are usually quite willing participants.

Let's see some more.

hey mike ,you fished the ponds on your travels to illinois a few years ago and fished with the originator of the wee  willie   craig reindeau