Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Local river outing

Last week I got out for the first time this year. Local river has been giving up a few steelhead and walleye. Only spent about 2 hours out but mainly just wanted to get out on the water for the first time this year so any fish caught were just a bonus. Only thing to net was about a 3-4 lb sucker but it did feel nice to put a bend in the long rod after a long winter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

You guys are too funny. Glad you got out Steve. We got a foot of snow with another foot coming. So it looks like I'll be getting out, to plow the snow.

What did that sucker bite on?

Glo bug (yarn egg). They love to suck up all the eggs they cam find in the spring behind the spawning fish. They are not a purdy fish by any means but they actually do put up a pretty decent fight so it was good to get out. Might get back out early next week as well if the weather gets better.

Who's spawning in your rivers right now? We used to catch carp and suckers when I was a kid in VA Beach. They certainly can put up a fight. I'm sure it was fun on a fly rod.

Being largely a warm water fishing guy I appreciate the annual sucker spawn each year. I don't know if I have ever taken a picture of one, preferring  to stay in the closet with my sucker fishing so as not to face scorn and ridicule from the trout guys. 

Some of them are actually kind'a neat. You have the ones that have a red stripe on them where you're at Greg? Those are kind of cool looking.....for a sucker lol

No we sure don't. In fact the only time Ive seen one with a red stripe were in your pictures. We just have your standard sucker. I do catch quite a few quillback suckers on the river that I think are pretty cool looking and they fight hard since they have carp shoulders and girth. 

Suckers are good for cleaning your wader boots while you fish up in Maine lol !!  We have huge suckers down here ( I don't live in Maine) in a couple of lakes that spawn more in April than now. Never caught one on a fly that I can recall.

Sweetness!

Spent first two decades of life on GL’s and it’s tribs chasing S/T/S most of the time, overlooked the extraordinary sucker fishery existing on almost every flow.  Now I live downstate and like chasing suckers and other species in small creeks and considerably tougher waters.  Ah, the ironies of preference and locations.🙃

Some massive Whites and other types up there in your neck of the woods.  Better spawn and big nymph tactics to use as well, year round dream for a flytyer if one is so inclined.

Yeah some of the white suckers are crazy how big they get. As well as some of the river redhorse that come in with them as well. Got a couple redhorse last year that were up in the 8-10lb range on the fly while trout fishing.