Fly Tying
TSFISH

CAE Tying Vice

Hi everyone, 

So I’m seriously Considering buying a CAE Vice. After talking with Charlie for a good while, I got the impression that he is a really nice man. I know there is a bit history here with the vice, and I do get the controversy, but I would like some advice if at all possible.

I believe there is a few people on the forum that own a number 2 vice. My question, which will determine whether I can buy the vice or not, is the hook range that it will comfortably tie.

I know from a few videos I’ve seen online, it will handle very small hooks (22 and smaller). My concern is the other end of the spectrum. I now tie some large saltwater patterns, ranging up to a 6/0, and possibly larger.

Can anyone confirm from tying on these vices if that will be possible. From what I’ve seen, I’d say it is, but would just like piece of mind before I order.

Cheers, 

Chris

5 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Welcome to the forum, Chris, and....... you are off to races now

Thanks Mate.

Welcome Chris-  Check out this thread from a few years back.  You can probably PM Bazzer69 with your questions.

12 hours ago, DFoster said:

Welcome Chris-  Check out this thread from a few years back.  You can probably PM Bazzer69 with your questions.

Ahh yes, I did see that. I’ll send him a message. Cheers.

I have looked into the cae myself,   Was going to check out the. Shop as its not far from my inlaws in Wigan Uk.   Looks to be a fine product.   If i add another vise it may be that.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:52 AM, petelangevin said:

I have looked into the cae myself,   Was going to check out the. Shop as its not far from my inlaws in Wigan Uk.   Looks to be a fine product.   If i add another vise it may be that.

I’ve actually written to him  few times about a problem with the rotary action of my vise. But I haven’t had a reply. It looks like a manufacturing defect. 

Sorry to hear that,  i would imagine that he would make good on it.   Any legit company would.   Have you tried calling during business hours.

2 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

I’ve actually written to him  few times about a problem with the rotary action of my vise. But I haven’t had a reply. It looks like a manufacturing defect. 

You are just not having any luck with vises, you had a problem with your HMH TRV vise too. It's not like you're buying low budget stuff either. Sorry to hear about that.

Is there one that you do like and haven't had any trouble with?

On 5/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, Mark Knapp said:

You are just not having any luck with vises, you had a problem with your HMH TRV vise too. It's not like you're buying low budget stuff either. Sorry to hear about that.

Is there one that you do like and haven't had any trouble with?

Yes, a Renzetti Master which I sold to a member here, that was a mistake, I should have kept it! I would like a LAW but the prices are out of my budget   The CAE is a great vise but it seems to lack in quality control. I shall keep it, the jaws are great, and put up with the sticky rotary, it’s a shame because the design ir first rate, but of course it’s a close copy of the LAW

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for the replies, especially Bazzer69. Sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing some issues with the vice.

Since seriously considering buying this vice, I’ve since realised it’s probably not suited to my Saltwater tying.

With that in mind, will continue to look.

Its either going to be a Dynaking Excalibur, a Stonfo Transformer, or a Renzetti Master.

Thanks again Guy’s.

5 hours ago, TSFISH said:

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for the replies, especially Bazzer69. Sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing some issues with the vice.

Since seriously considering buying this vice, I’ve since realised it’s probably not suited to my Saltwater tying.

With that in mind, will continue to look.

Its either going to be a Dynaking Excalibur, a Stonfo Transformer, or a Renzetti Master.

Thanks again Guy’s.

Check j-vice out.... Mine will be the last vise I hold on to, if I was Forced to Pick One..  But about 10 must leave before I am only down to Jay Smit’s tool art.