Fly Tying
RockCreeker

Vise Advice: Wolff Apex vs. Peak Non-rotary

I'm looking to purchase a vise for travel and for use at my fishing cabin. It won't get a lot of heavy use, but when you need what they're eating, you've got to be able to tie. After several decades of tying, I'm a dedicated stationary guy so true rotary vises are not in consideration here. For reference, my primary vise on my home bench is a Dyna-King Supreme. Given that this new purchase will be a travel/back-up vise, I'm looking to keep it at about $150 or so.

After overthinking this for a few weeks (hey, I've got some time on my hands!), I believe I'm down to the Wolff Apex or the Peak non-rotary. Both seem like pretty solid pieces of gear and both have generally good reviews. Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to a shop where I can see and handle both in person. So, from anyone who uses or has used either or both of these vises, any advice or input?

p.s. I might also consider the Renzetti Apprentice if someone wants to try to talk me into it.

As per my usual ... when someone is looking to buy a good working vise for bargain prices, I recommend the one I have been using for a few years now. 

You say you don't need rotary, but for the price ... just don't use that feature! 😉

https://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/index.cfm/product/19_2/odyssey-spider-cam.htm

Odyssey-Spider-Cam_md.jpg

i guess id save money and just bring my existng renzetti traveler vise to wherever. it travels well and gives me more money to buy materials

thompson model a

816HFyWsP2L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Hi I am new here and have this you could have for $140 plus shipping I have other vises that get used more often . James

items for sale are posted in the trading floor category and require 40 posts before you can sell items

read the rules

I have the wolf/Indiana atlas, it's been great, holds a very wide range of hooks well the jaws come to a pretty fine point for tying small trout flys. Personally I like the rotary feature even though I don't really use it as a rotary vise, it's nice to be able to easily turn it to look at your fly from different angles.

I have a Wolf Apex, 2/3 years now.  Its alright, but I'll upgrade to a different vise when I can afford/justify it.  The jaws do no hold as well as it think they should, 90% of my tying is size 10 and down, and never bigger than 2/4.  It's not a true rotary, and I think it should rotate more smoothly.  I have taken it apart and lubricated it, but that only helped a little.  Like @vicente I only use that function to see all sides of the fly.  If it was true rotary, I would probably use it more for tying, but hindsight is 20/20.  My next one will probably be a Peak rotary.  

I've used the Renzetti Traveler since the 90s.  Except for the jaw, the vise is aluminum, which is great to pare down weight for airline traveler.  I replaced the screw adjustment with a cam, but thee was nothing wrong with the screw adjustment.  The Renzetti Traveler holds a hook like grim death as a vise must do.  Sure it's rotary, but often I don't use the rotary function.  It works well as a stationary vise as well.  I use a c-clamp instead of a pedestal when I travel by air to also hold down weight.  Yeah, I have to get creative when I'm dealing with beveled edges of hotel furniture.  I might have to shim the c-clamp on the table edge with a small piece of plywood.