Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Flexcoil Squids

Very nice.  I like that you have used "alternative" materials.  The squid are excellent!  Where di you purchase the head bands?

The flex mesh were on head bands, kids toy,  at DollarTree.   You can get the best kind from fly shops but party stores or where women make wreath thingamabobbers have it.  Kinda hard to find just the right colors.  Did you see the schwimp?

F2938726-CD6C-41D9-8E2F-B6A1AC6B5CDD.jpeg

8B431C3D-B8B4-463A-8815-112BF766AA89.png

looked at the first pics i started thinking crayfish pattern.  then you had the bronze colored piece and i said i have to work on one.  stores are closed and now i probably wont sleep thinking about it.  thanks anyhow .      keep it up

Cdad....that’s an idea😳

The inverted hook w/lead eye shrimp would easily turn into a Cdad.   Color change, add some claws, separate/segment the tail from body somehow maybe.  You can make em bigger since detaching the body/tail already.  

6588CC6C-27F3-46D0-AD52-C2099ED4126E.png

Tried couple of Cdads.   One going each way.  Lead eye at hook eye.   Maybe be better if tail is detached.    Head detached maybe not good idea.   Chenille ain’t the best claws try rabbit strip....Try that next???

89B14B32-1433-4843-A56D-D595A549F4F5.jpeg

16F30F2B-78F4-480C-9E66-88400E87DB6F.jpeg

133179A8-297D-40FA-99C6-22015A6569E3.jpeg

very nice. you can use chenille for claws tie on two or three stands and twist them together, fold back, let it furl and tie on.     thanks for tying those

Here’s one more in the flexmesh style.  The light color is like the ones in the Arkie Tailwater streams like the White, Norfork, Lil Red.    Oh dodoo left the lead eye off but used long shank hook.   Hope it tracks ok or just be a drift presentation not strip back thru the eddies....Strike one.   Could redo the tail at eye don’t like backing up.  Did thread some legs thru mesh and secured with Solarez though.    Maybe more shrimpy but wanted the orange, blue around.   

FE3FC9C1-DAA4-4C62-B890-398E68E1CA5D.jpeg

A4934E67-0D3E-4844-ACA8-553CE4A939F7.jpeg

@denduke, you are nothing if not prolific in your tying.  I don't tie your style of flies often, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoy all your pics/posts.  Thanks.