Fly Tying
flytire

June Flies From the Vise

4 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Seriously???  Ok well I won’t share anymore dang man...  lol   

so is this the consensus of the rest of the group?  Or is it just one guy?  Cause I’m not the only one to have made earrings out of feathers. In fact I got the idea from earrings I saw online.  They are everywhere.  

I would like to see a SBS on those👍

Yes, fly earrings have been around a long time. I know one commercial fly tier that tried to broaden her market by going into earrings full bore. It was a big dud. Now she's got all these findings and nothing to do with them. To be honest, she doesn't tie a lot of flies commercially anymore either.

i'm surprised that wives of guys that tie them earrings actually wear them

squatch-earrings.jpg

squatch from time to time, likes to get in touch with his girlie side 

2 hours ago, flytire said:

i'm surprised that wives of guys that tie them earrings actually wear them

squatch from time to time, likes to get in touch with his girlie side 

I think the take away is that they don't. I think the avid female fly fishers and tiers wear them at associated events. Other than that, I've never seen them. I think that most woman that don't fly fish would not wear them for fear of having to engage in a discussion about fishing! (OMG)

My daughter has actually given me some of her feather earrings to use for flies, as they were no longer her style.  Next time I'll just send them to Norm for the 'Squatch.  

4 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

I would like to see a SBS on those👍

What’s an SBS?  Lol!  Thanks for understanding my slowness

Well my goodness, I didn’t think me posting about earings would get such a stir.  Not trying to cause trouble, not trying to do anything bad, haha!  My wife wanted some, and her friends wanted some also.  So I figured make some for my wife and sell a few to her friends if they wanted them.  They are tied with 100% whiting hackle, thread and UV resin, no illigal birds.  Well anyway, I thought it was a neat idea, didn’t mean to offend or tick anyone off.  Haha!  Noted from now on, don’t post earings here....   ;)    Haha!  Ok well in all seriousness, my wife likes them, her friend likes the ones I gave to her.  And I’ll be back posting fly pics soon.  Haha!   

I did the earring thing for awhile. I did flies instead of feathers.  They don’t wear’em.  Neither the resin jewelry...🤨

Maybe you’ll have better luck...

EDA038FB-6897-4B9B-8251-193EF5F67BD3.png

D64E689B-A390-459A-9330-9C76DF472A91.jpeg

5926DD21-23C3-4821-A1A3-DE150CEC6FEC.jpeg

49B56595-8382-445B-AD7F-D340823DC8F1.jpeg

BB83D648-A708-4194-B4B7-8AA8BBD7E682.png

856C63D8-D9D6-4948-8FC7-F18581E0052D.jpeg

066538F6-52A5-4C8B-9497-844664E6A524.jpeg

Tups-Indispensible-1080.jpg

Tup's Indispensable

Hook - Standard dry fly 

Thread -Yellow.

Tails - Blue dun, Honey Dun, Brassy Dun, Ginger (depicted)

Tip – Yellow thread

* Body - A dubbing mixture with a very faint light red color consisting of wool from the scrotum of a ram, crème-colored unborn seal’s fur and the same dyed red as well as yellow and a little wool from a lemon-colored Cocker Spaniel

Hackle - Blue dun, Honey Dun, Brassy Dun, Ginger (depicted)

* Obviously, the body dubbing mentioned above wasn’t used to tie this fly. I merely hand mixed red, cream, burnt orange wool with a little yellow rabbit fur to achieve the pinkish colored dubbing.

The urine stained wool from the scrotum of a ram was definitely not used and Squatch ran away at the mention of it.

giphy-downsized.gif

It might have been a different color anyway. What in the hell was the originator thinking when he blended those materials?

tups-furs.jpg

On 6/11/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mark Knapp said:

You don't have to hate it. I'm not pushing a case either way. I like them all.

The differences, to me, are subtle but that's what fly tiers do, talk about subtle differences. I like to explore all possibilities.

I'll fish them all this summer and I am sure that other variables like bad casting, water conditions, delivery, time of day and other things will make a bigger difference than the feathers.

I think that confidence in a fly has more to do with it success than any other factor.

YMMV, I fish for stupid fish (that sounds very unkind to them) in very low pressure fisheries (they won't care what fly I use). Fishers in high pressure areas would probably have different results.

I would fish them all.  I just figure the fly called for brown and grizzly because Cree is rare.  However, I like it better.  Hope I didn't offend you.  Thanks for posting the contrast.  Excellent work, as always.