Sign in to follow this  
troutmaster08

Patterns database

you cant

it no longer exists since the new forum software update

unless you can find it on the "wayback machine"

i highly doubt it will ever be resurrected

4 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Shared Google doc with whoever wants to contribute? 

If so I can make a group pm and we can discuss it with whoever is interested 

I am interested in contributing some patterns. @Landon P will a google doc support a search function to find the fly we are looking for? Once we have 100s of  patterns listed will we have to scroll through them all to find what we want? Will they be in alphabetical order? I am totally behind you on this but I am not sure a word doc is the best format. 

Would simply starting a topic that is just patterns work? Please understand that I am not being a naysayer. I just want to help. I think you have a great idea. 

I went to the first page of October Flys from the vise. Then I clicked in search in the top right of the screen. Then  I checked  "this topic" then I typed in Pike fly. It turned back results for every post that mentioned Pike Flys.  

I then typed in caddis and every  post that mentioned the word caddis popped up.  

I think if we just Started a new topic under The fly tying bench it might work.  We would just need to reframe from commenting to keep it all clean. just post patterns with pictures. If we could get someone to pin it to the top of the Fly tying bench  list it would be great.

Not sure if that made sense...

All I am trying to say is that if we start a topic and only post patterns we could use the search function built into this site to find the patterns we are looking for by name.

2 hours ago, Pbass said:

All I am trying to say is that if we start a topic and only post patterns we could use the search function built into this site to find the patterns we are looking for by name.

Thats a great idea! We should think about this one.

2 hours ago, Pbass said:

Im gonna try this to at least see how it works and hopefully make it work.

It would be great if the original data base could be recovered. There were thousands of patterns and although it didn't always work quite right, it was searchable by: pattern name, contributor, species imitated, materials used... There were some real gems in there from tiers that no longer (or rarely) visit the forum now.

I'm not sure a forum thread would be anything more than merging the monthly "Flies from the vise" and would get bloated quickly. That said, I don't have the time or expertise, so I don't want to discourage those who do.