Fly Tying
troutmaster08

Drawings

i know quite a few walleye anglers that airbrush their lures mostly flicker shads.and had afriend that moved to fl that got paid good money to custom paint crankbaits for tourney anglers.  p personally would like to see an architectural drawing of a bass bug. 

When I was a kid I drew a lot of flies on graph paper as I envisioned what I wanted to tie. Even did them with various colored pencils. I liked to draw back then. 

Have not done that in a very, very long time, but have seen some drawings that others have done more recently. It brought back good memories, and IMO, is a good means to help figure out fly patterns. 

Rich, my college major was architecture, and I could do mechanical drawing a lot better than free hand, art type drawings, but I think hard line drawings of flies cause them to lose some of the character. I would much rather see art forms than mechanical drawings, even of bass bags.  I remember all the artwork for flies that used to be in magazines, such as Outdoor Life or Field & Stream, so I guess that has biased my opinion too.  

On 11/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, troutmaster08 said:

Do any of you guys draw or paint flies, fish, or lures? I've recently started and would love to see what you guys have done.

My father in law paints.  He has done several trout and salmon water colors for me which I am going to mat and frame.  I'm at work but will post pictures when I get home.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:24 PM, tidewaterfly said:

When I was a kid I drew a lot of flies on graph paper as I envisioned what I wanted to tie. Even did them with various colored pencils. I liked to draw back then.

I drew a lot back in my middle/high school years too. I used to sketch flies in the margin of my notebooks to help keep me amused during class.  I suppose I still do it sometimes "before a long meeting".   Sometime I sketch furniture I would like to build too!   Oh, and fish!  : )

just saw on streamers by gunnar, one of his latest u tube video that he sells posters of his flies . these are drawings around one of his tied fly photos explaining parts of the fly   very cool

I'm bringing back an old thread here, but I painted this Brown Trout.

No description available.