Fly Tying
fiveonomo

First Attempt at Tying a Fly......Be Easy

14 hours ago, Dave G. said:

One time I was fishing in a caddis hatch and brook trout had turned on. I had this beat up caddis pattern on my line and was catching fish until the fly just fell apart. My son was with me not catching much with the same pattern but fresh. When I changed my fly because there was nothing left of the old one, I put on a nice new fresh elk hair caddis and wasn't catching a thing. I clipped most of the wing off, roughed up the dubbing and immediately starting catching fish again. I told my son to clip half the materials off his fly and beat up the dubbing which he did and he too was now catching fish. Additionally the fish were feeding just under the surface and taking the fly when jerked in tiny quick strips. We were catching brookie after brookie till some folks started noticing it. They said they been fishing all afternoon, what are you guys using. Our reply " beat to s+++ caddis". So why do I say this today ? At the right moment in the right situation your flies will be perfection, maybe not to you but to the fish.

Awesome story Dave!  Thanks for sharing it.

In the fly tying class I took, we were asked to keep a notebook and to make a sketch of each fly along with listing the materials, hook size, name of the fly, etc.    Since I enjoyed "sketching" anyway, I think that was good practice in for me in getting an "eye" for proportions.  Think how much "trial and error" you can get in 5 minutes with a pencil without getting hung-up on technicalities-- like thread, and searching for materials. For me, making a sketch is usually a useful step in making most anything... (while I have known a couple of people who don't plan anything, and seem to get a lot done).  If someone were to ask me about my best tools, I think I would have to include the humble "list".

11 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

In the fly tying class I took, we were asked to keep a notebook and to make a sketch of each fly along with listing the materials, hook size, name of the fly, etc.    Since I enjoyed "sketching" anyway, I think that was good practice in for me in getting an "eye" for proportions.  Think how much "trial and error" you can get in 5 minutes with a pencil without getting hung-up on technicalities-- like thread, and searching for materials. For me, making a sketch is usually a useful step in making most anything... (while I have known a couple of people who don't plan anything, and seem to get a lot done).  If someone were to ask me about my best tools, I think I would have to include the humble "list".

Thanks @Bill_729!  I am certainly a list guy and use them for most anything I am doing.  I am not so much an artist or even a doodler....I have the drawing/sketching skill of a rock.  However, I do like this idea and maybe a I will try it, I just don't want to get hung up too much on drawing.  My thoughts are it all comes down to the person tying the flies.  Good stuff man and thanks for sharing that with me. 

Following some of the advice I have gotten from this great site was to try the Pheasant Tail without the bead.  I tried that today and I think it turned out better, still sloppy, tail is a little long......but better I think.  What do you guys think? 

Pheasant Tail Nymph.jpg

@fiveonomo Yep, tail is a bit long, legs are a bit long too. Personally I think the thorax could be just a bit fatter.  That fly you posted is a huge improvement. Keep it up!

4 hours ago, fiveonomo said:

looking forward to seeing how you improve

1 hour ago, fiveonomo said:

Pheasant Tail Nymph.jpg

That's what I'm talking about!

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

@fiveonomo Yep, tail is a bit long, legs are a bit long too. Personally I think the thorax could be just a bit fatter.  That fly you posted is a huge improvement. Keep it up!

Thanks @Sandan!  After I was done I thought she was a little skinny.  Ill take a shot again at it tonight and maybe beef it up with one wrap of lead wire, that should help fill the thorax out.  Thanks again.

21 minutes ago, fiveonomo said:

Thanks @Sandan!  After I was done I thought she was a little skinny.  Ill take a shot again at it tonight and maybe beef it up with one wrap of lead wire, that should help fill the thorax out.  Thanks again.

@fiveonomo, here's another 2 ideas. Either wrap the whole thorax w/ lead (not just one wrap or maybe I'm misunderstanding you), which will leave you with having to taper the thread base to the lead or use two or three peacock herls. What size are you tying?  16 use 3, 18 use 2. Tie in the herls by the tips, then twist them into a rope. Don't twist 'em too tightly, they'll break. Then wrap. Try that before the lead. I think the lead at this stage of your game is gonna be an impediment. 

Your fly will catch fish.  I would tie up another 1/2 dozen or so.  No bass where I live but it is a "go to" pattern for trout on lots of ocasions.  Great Job!

5 hours ago, Sandan said:

I disagree about the thorax.  The pheasant tail is best at imitating skinny nymphs.  To each his own, though.

Just now, redietz said:

I disagree about the thorax.  The pheasant tail is best at imitating skinny nymphs.  To each his own, though.

@redietz  Fair enough. That's what makes horseraces, right?