Fly Tying
George Carson

CK52S Popper Hooks Size 12?

Size 12 kinda hard to find...never see CKS525 that small in stock.  For what it’s worth done lotta poppers huge and small w/o hump shanks.  Thread wrap then glue; cork, foam.   They’ve survived hitting the outboard on back casts most times, just saying.   After glue dried a good “manhandling” will check the hold before dressing.   Some flip flop foam is too flimsy but the craft foam or cork after the CA dries the attachment is stronger than the mat’l itself.   I like shorter hooks than humpies anyway and other hook choices  are limitless...

C79B3194-D954-4CA4-89ED-48F27F9D085A.png

I am fairly certain Mustad quit making the CK52S hook in sizes 12 and 14 years ago.  I've personally never seen anyone carry those sizes since I bought the few I was able to find then.

Hey SP!  Wondered what happened to you?   We sure miss your great poppers around here. 🤗   I haven’t done cork in a coons age; gone foam crazy😛

I just checked Jann's Netcraft and Barlow's catalogs, and the smallest they carry is size 10.  Like denduke,  I haven't used that type of hook in years.  I prefer a round bend,  2xl hook for my poppers, size 8 to 3/0.   I just wrap the shank where the popper body will sit with thread till it's a tight fit when I slide the body on the shank.  Coat the thread with superglue and slide body back on.  Once the glue sets, the body's not going anywhere.

I like that popper hook, but when you get that small, doubtful it makes any big difference. I used to make some size 12 poppers for a shop years ago, and used long shank dry fly hooks. A good thread base and epoxy, and the cork would come apart before the body to hook connection would fail. 

Thanks guys, I am aware of the other options but I was hoping specifically for the CK52S Popper Hooks Size 12.  Worse case scenario I will use dry fly hooks.  Thanks again for your input guys.

Mustad sproat in sz 12 are a good all around hook for bluegill bugs.I use barbless 12 and 14 light wire nooks for poppers and small foam bugs.They float better and easy to unhook the fish.The barbless hooks have a wider gap.I seem to get more hook ups and the hook almost sets itself.The hook eyes are tiny tho and 6lb mono is sometimes hard to get thru the eye.If you prefer a longer hook use 12 aberdeens,