Fly Tying
DFoster

The Jock Scott Challenge

Haven't seen this in a while...fun stuff. Less than 30 minutes to "tie the Jock Scott" but how long to gather, assemble and prep the materials? I love it none the less.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, Sandan said:

@DFoster, cool vid. It takes me half an hour to just put the wings together.

18 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Haven't seen this in a while...fun stuff. Less than 30 minutes to "tie the Jock Scott" but how long to gather, assemble and prep the materials? I love it none the less.

I did notice that he already had the wings ready to go and did not assemble them.  Still interesting. 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:04 AM, DFoster said:

I did notice that he already had the wings ready to go and did not assemble them.  Still interesting. 

Oh yes...very interesting!! He is a fine tyer and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him do in 20+ minutes what takes me hours to do😎

I appreciate the video, just like I appreciate what you guys tie and share in this forum. But, the moment he used the fine point tweezers to place materials, I knew this is well beyond me.

52 minutes ago, Bimini15 said:

I appreciate the video, just like I appreciate what you guys tie and share in this forum. But, the moment he used the fine point tweezers to place materials, I knew this is well beyond me.

Nope...you can do it. First - the tweezers are just an extension of your fingers. Second - If you can tie a wet fly you can tie the classics. The process is basically the same, just more parts requiring more planning and few unusual materials...honest!!

Thanks for the encouragement.
I do not doubt that I could do ok with enough time and practice. It would just be hard for me to gather the patience/motivation needed for flies that, in my case, would be for show. 

@Bimini15 I doubt I'll ever fish the classic style flies, but who knows. I tie em for the challenge and skill building. The skills learned carry over into my regular day to day tieing. 

23 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

Here’s a JS I tied and can assure you, this is no 30 minute fly. Nice video though

FDE006D7-D79C-4725-86FA-F9E698545FAD.jpeg

Stunning work Bruce!  Have you ever fished one?  I asked Charlie Chute a few years back if people still fish these types of flies and he said yes but it's rare.  He said the flies themselves fish really well because all the individual components flex and move which makes them look alive in water.   The negative being that after hours of work the fly is certain to be ruined.   A fair trade perhaps in exchange for the chance to fight a large salmon?

That is a long way from a Woolly Bugger!  I keep thinking I should take some classes at some of the shows, whenever they come back.  Some days I can barely tie a Woolly Bugger.  My hat is off to you classic tiers. (exposing my bald head)