Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Baby Crayfish 2.0

Still refining the small crayfish for sunfish.

These are a little over an inch long.

DSCF5977-X2.jpg

DSCF5979%20(1)-X3.jpg

DSCF5978-X3.jpg

DSCF5983%20(1)-X4.jpg

DSCF5987%20(1)-X4.jpg

DSCF5992-X4.jpg

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

those are ready to crawl off the table..    just wondering how a mop body would work on the gap side of hook

Great looking flies. Again, I'm thinking flies for carp. If you didn't follow a pattern, how about the recipe and/or a Youtube video? Thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, feathers5 said:

They Look great. Did you follow a pattern?

4 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Great looking flies. Again, I'm thinking flies for carp. If you didn't follow a pattern, how about the recipe and/or a Youtube video? Thanks for sharing.

No, I didn't follow a recipe. They needed to be an inch long for sun fish and I need to fish them in 20 feet of water. Many of the recipes on the internet used materials that wouldn't adapt well too my needs, way too big.

Here's my list of ingredients, I'm leaving on a fishing trip today, when I get back next week I'll do an SBS (time permitting)

Hook, size 8 or 10 jig hook. I bent these from hooks I had.

Thread, 6/0 grey

Weight, 2 wraps of .020 lead wire the length of the shank

Dubbing, orange rabbit

Claws, heart shaped pheasant breast feathers died olive green.

Eyes, 30 pound yellow monofilament.

Body and head hackle, one orange, one olive grizzly hackle palmered together from tail to head.

Shell, a back feather from ring necked pheasant died olive green.

Coat shell with Sally Hanson.

7 hours ago, richmce said:

those are ready to crawl off the table..    just wondering how a mop body would work on the gap side of hook

I think a mop body would work for a shell if the flies were a little bigger. On these flies it might be a little too bulky.

Just now, Rocco said:

Carp!  

Trout will go nuts over them. 

These are intended for the big sun fish in Havasu but I bet they would work for almost anything. We don't have crayfish up here in Alaska but I think they'd work here. I could adapt the pattern into a dragon fly nymph.

Tried to send this as a PM but pics didn’t work.   
Yours Dads look and should track great.   Don’t really need to change a thing .  The feather for the shell back makes yours nice! .👍Gonna post some of mine for you to get more ideas maybe.   Used d-rib, pheasant claws, and deer hair on some.  Used kids hair fibers w/ glass rattles on some.  Use md felt, d rib, flank feathers for claws on others.   
There’s a s trout stream in Arkansas that is just full of snails.  You can see the stockers tailing as they gobble them up.  Their guts are full of them but for the life of us we can’t gettem on any snail  pattern we’ve tried.  But you have had success with clam flies before, amazing.   Good Luck 🤗

FD5E16C6-C8BD-428E-BC68-0011688C03FC.jpeg

E94485AD-F8BF-4922-8CF9-ACCA8AE7E602.png

7291CDDC-D615-4672-86BF-1C92F5B8A9E2.png

B06A9617-FC46-4A61-8E2B-B6C02B6A14E9.jpeg

5 minutes ago, denduke said:

Tried to send this as a PM but pics didn’t work.   
Yours Dads look and should track great.   Don’t really need to change a thing .👍Gonna post some of mine for you to get more ideas maybe.   Used d-rib, pheasant claws, and deer hair on some.  Used kids hair fibers w/ glass rattles on some.  Use md felt, d rib, flank feathers for claws on others.   
There’s a s trout stream in Arkansas that is just full of snails.  You can see the stockers tailing as they gobble them up.  Their guts are full of them but for the life of us we can’t gettem on any snail  pattern we’ve tried.  But you have had success with clam flies before, amazing.   Good Luck 🤗

Those look really good, thanks.  I'm thinking of adding more tail like yours. I've stayed away from deer hair because of it's buoyancy, I have to get these down 20 feet.

Yeah, my snail pattern works really good when the trout are keyed on them, other times they work as good as anything but sometimes, they really gettum.

denduke, saw a recipe for air breathing snails in a magazine a long time ago. I do remember the recipe used peacock herl to imitate light refraction of the air bubble. So many flies, so few materials and so little time to fish them!