Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Been Awhile! Jig Tying Too!

Hey all! It's been a while since I've been on here. Of course the virus has had it's affects on us, but no one I know well, close family, has passed from it. It's certainly affected my business.

I have been busy, as we had some construction done so I now have a dedicated fly tying room. That seemed to take forever to get done, and there's still some details that aren't yet complete, like base boards. Too expensive for now, so will hopefully get done when prices on the wood is better.

I'm also still trying to organize. I crammed about 40 years of supplies collecting into that room.

Here's my most recent tying. Have been tying more jigs than flies, but most of the jigs could easily be tied as a fly too. These are heading to S FL to friend of mine who has started a guiding business and wants to target Peacock Bass on light tackle.  The last two photos are my new tying setup. 😊

spacer.png

1699.jpg

1700.jpg

1702.jpg

1704.jpg

1705.jpg

1706.jpg

1701.jpg

1703.jpg

1578.jpg

1577.jpg

Here's a few more that  had not down loaded from my phone.  All of these jigs are on heads that I had [poured and powder coated. I used 2/0 Mustad Ultra Point Aberdeen hooks in some, and 2/0 VMC Barbarian hooks in some. The jig with the weed guard has a 4/0 Mustad hook in it. Weights are all in the 1/8 to 1/4 ounce range.

1707.jpg

1708.jpg

1709.jpg

1710.jpg

1711.jpg

You have enough stuff to open a store. I don't have near that much but only tie 6-8 flies for local waters. My complement on the flies. Let us know how they turn out.

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

You have enough stuff to open a store. I don't have near that much but only tie 6-8 flies for local waters. My complement on the flies. Let us know how they turn out.

Yep, but that's also the business I'm in. 🙂 Thanks for the compliment! 😊

I've been keeping busy as well filling lure orders for leadheads and bucktail jigs... Here's a pic...

rRJm5iG.jpg

Helps fill in down time when I'm not on the water.  I'm still tying but only for my needs as a guide each day...f

Capt Bob, it's good to be busy, but not too busy!

Anytime that I'm tying for folks in S. FL., I keep the many posts in mind that you've made of your flies & jigs! 🙂

As always you're tying and jigs look great!👍👍

Thank you for the comment! 😊

Great looking jigs Tidewater!  Snook here inland, around lake O, would jump all over those. 

57 minutes ago, caloosa bug said:

Great looking jigs Tidewater!  Snook here inland, around lake O, would jump all over those. 

Thank you! I don't think my guide friend targets any Snook, but yes, they probably would.

These would likely work well for Walleye too up north. 😉

I like casting lead on hooks and tying bucktail jigs. I have some number 9 lead shot i would like to use up. i believe it is an alloy. Will this sub for 100% lead or is it too hard?

Cheers

Bullhead

It will work. Just keep skimming off the cross. I use wheel weights to cast sinkers and bullets.

You are using an expensive lead for jig heads. Shot is selling at over $40 for 25 lb.

I use anything that melts in my pot. Hard, soft, alloy this alloy that, I don’t care. It all melts and pours just fine. I pour jigs and weights from 1/10th ounce up to 8 ounces. I use to use wheel weights but they’ve largely been made out of steel and zinc for the last 20 years. I stopped getting wheel weights years ago because of their lack of lead. I’ve used plenty of lead shot to when I can get my hands on it. Plenty of it around because most people stopped reloading shotgun shells years ago. 

I pour jigs and other things from 1/100 oz up to 20 ounces. Shot, as was said, is worth a lot more right now as shot, than it ever will be for melting it down.  You would be better off selling it and getting some ingots of lead for pouring jigs with it.

I've also used a lot of wheel weight lead and never had much problems with it, but I learned that some molds you have to get really hot to get a good pour each time. Most who have problems think that hot is 300-400 degree's and that might work for some molds, not for all. I use an electric hot plate to heat up molds and keep them hot when pouring, and hardness of the lead isn't much of an issue.