Fly Tying

This fly has been productive for me in the Catskills and on the Swift river in Massachusetts the previous weekend. I do not recall where I got it from and what it is called.

Does anybody know what fly is this?

Thanks in advance.

DSCF7315.jpg

The fly is WET and that really changes the true color of the materials. It makes them darker.

What is the true colors of the body dubbing?

Is that a bead at  the head of the fly?

For all I can see, it could be a version of gold ribbed parachute adams with deer or elk hair for the tail fibers. Could even be a version of a gold ribbed purple haze if the body dubbing is purple.

1177895598_ScreenShot2021-11-01at6_45_56PM.png.82b5131f37a4d93a5c3e3b8a84da29f4.png

Agree with @SilverCreek, looks like a gold ribbed parachute adams without brown hackle, hard to see the body color, though.  I can't make out what the tail material is.  What size were you using?

It’s your basic parachute fly. Exactly what kind of parachute fly is solely dependent on the colors. Call it what you will but it is a simple parachute dry fly tied with a grizzly hackle, calf tail, golden pheasant? Some type of hares ear Dubbing? And some gold tinsel. Should be easily able to find that or similar flies in the worst stocked fly shops. 

On 11/1/2021 at 6:36 PM, haziz said:

This fly has been productive for me in the Catskills and on the Swift river in Massachusetts the previous weekend. I do not recall where I got it from and what it is called.

Does anybody know what fly is this?

Thanks in advance.

DSCF7315.jpg

It looks to be about a size 12.  I know the Swift well and I know the Brook Trout there will gladly grab a large dry.   Was it also effective on the Swift Rainbows and Browns?

On 11/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, DFoster said:

It looks to be about a size 12.  I know the Swift well and I know the Brook Trout there will gladly grab a large dry.   Was it also effective on the Swift Rainbows and Browns?

Thanks. It actually is a size 16 or 18, and yes the Rainbows and Browns were going after it. The fish were rising vigorously that day (probably to midges) and the river had been recently stocked.

P.S. After looking at other "known" flies in my box, it probably is more likely a size 16 or less likely size 14. I continue to struggle with guesstimating my hook and fly sizes, and also desperately need a better system for organizing and arranging my fly boxes.

On 11/4/2021 at 4:08 AM, haziz said:

also desperately need a better system for organizing and arranging my fly boxes.

Organizing and arranging fly boxes is a never ending battle for me.  My fishing is slowing as our weather cools so I've started working through my boxes in preparation for "fly tying" season.  Which patterns to keep and which ones will meet the razor blade.  I'm always trying new flies and some of them just don't produce for me on the rivers that I fish and I can't have them taking up valuable room in one of my boxes.  Some times too many choices is a bad thing so- last year I scaled down and decided I would only carry 2 boxes for most days of fishing. Mainly (1) a large tacky for nymphs and (2) a 7" x 4" double sided for drys, soft hackles, winged wets and streamers.   I have a 3rd large box for salmon streamers for use when the salmon are spawning on the Still Water.   Finally a "scrap" box.  This is for my less well tied flies or flies that are pretty beat up from combat- I don't use these for our wary trout but they still will catch the local blue gills, fall fish and perch just fine.

There are some good videos on fly box organization on youtube that might help you out-

I only tie 6-8 flies for SE waters. Trying a couple of new ones soon. Basically I have wet and dry fly boxes on my lanyard.

To be honest 6-8 is all we really need for freshwater here in the North East to- BUT every time I see a convincing looking fly somewhere on the net I just can't help myself and have to try it 🤗.  And.... that's how I end up with too many flies some of which I don't even know the name of (a condition I suspect many of us have to deal with).  Lately I've been forcing myself to tie no more than 4 of any untested pattern.  That way there's not as many to cut down if they don't catch fish.

I do a half -assed job of keeping my flies organized during the season, it's like a little mosh-pit in my fly boxes sometimes. 

But I do get them back in some semblance of order over the winter, as well as cutting down on the variety of patterns a little bit every year.  

6 minutes ago, niveker said:

I do a half -assed job of keeping my flies organized during the season, it's like a little mosh-pit in my fly boxes sometimes. 

But I do get them back in some semblance of order over the winter, as well as cutting down on the variety of patterns a little bit every year.  

Mosh pit describes my box perfectly. I also fish the same dozen flies. I will also tie a couple new flies and then fish them. If I like them I will tie a few more if I dont like them I won’t tie them again. I usually have a box of testers until i determine if I like them. I never tie just to stock pile. I’ll tie a handful of everything I like and won’t tie more till I run out. 

I'm more or less the same way, and I do have that same habit @DFoster mentioned of seeing a fly I like and tying up a few of them to try out.  I also have a bad habit of giving flies away to those I fish with (family mostly, who don't tie, so I never get anything in return) and those I meet on the river.   It a bonus when I meet a fellow fly fisherman who also ties and we do an impromptu fly swap on the river.  More for the pit.