Fly Tying
Philski

Desk Is Finished

Well I finally finished the desk portion of my flytying station. I will building the rest of it this summer. Hope you like the pic.

Thanks!

Philski

post-2-1115780478.jpg

Man, that is a beauty....I love it.

Got any pics of how you have your drawers set up to store your material??

Because I can post only on pic at a time, I will post the tray-side pedestal with this reply and then reply again with the left side drawer assy. I have set up the right side pedestal with dividers for fly storage. The left side pedestal top two drawers are cedar lined and divided for necks and for hair/feather storage. These pics are obviously taken during the build and prior to any finishing....

Hope you like my efforts. I am looking forward to having a dedicated flytying space!

Philski

post-2-1115782177.jpg

Here is the tray side....all the drawers are partitioned except the very topmost tray which I kept shallow for tying tools...

Phil(ski)

post-2-1115782287.jpg

Wow thats just too cool Philski cool.gif That would make tying a complete pleasure to have a set up like that. very nice craftsmanship!

BTW to post muti pic's in a post it's the same as inserting a single pic, only instead of clicking post reply just click IMG again and insert another one wink.gif

I have to say that your desk is magnificent, a perfect blend of utilitarian and artistic design, constructed with the finest of workmanship, a very exquisite piece. Sure wish I had one like it.

Graham

Philski:

Would be interested to know how many hours do you have in this project? Also wondering what your material costs are? It is clearly a magnificant piece of utilitarian furniture. You are a master craftsman in more than fly tying. Great job!

I have to say that your desk is magnificent, a perfect blend of utilitarian and artistic design, constructed with the finest of workmanship, a very exquisite piece. Sure wish I had one like it.

Sure, what he said. A true piece of art.

Art

ohmy.gif (speechless)

OK... I know that's a stretch for me..... But all I can say is WOW... great looking piece! You should build and sell those...

Those shallow partitioned drawers rock! Do you have plans for those by any chance? I'd like to get my father-in-law to make me a bunch of shallow storage similar to that so I can line it with ripple foam boat patches for larger fly storage.

Absolutley beautiful!!!!!!! very smart idea using aromatic cedar. It will keeps the bugs away and keep your room smelling nice thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone!

I never did keep total track of my hours. I guess it took me 150 hours or so to build it. I started, then stopped, then restarted again. My shop is my garage so during the winter, I didn't work out there much. I can heat it just fine but keeping it heated for glue to set up or a finish to dry is another matter.

Materials are white oak - about $400.00 (US) worth. The drawer sides and tray partitions are poplar. The linings are incense cedar and the drawer bottoms are oak faced ply.

I had to order the drawer pulls (the brass salmon ones) from Rockler at 16.00 each and the tray pulls were Home Depot.

The finishes are red mahogany water based stain on polyurethane on the bottom, and red mahogany stain, alcohol based on the top again with 4 coats of poly. I am guessing my total cost was around 550.00 to 600.00. Was fun to build.

Next project will be a gallery cabinet to sit atop the desk.

Thanks again for your kind reviews!

Philski