Fly Tying

Naples and Vero Beach flies

Hay guys I am going to Vero Beach area and Naples- i will be there in March. Does anyone know a good inshore fly so that I will catch anything in sight. If anyone knows a good all around fly I could chuck on my 8 wt. It would be cool if they where salt water inshore flies- multispecies.

Chartreuse and White Clouser. Varying weights (lead eyes, bead chain eyes, no eyes). Also you could tie up some Crystal Schminnows, they are quick and easy.

Yep, what he said and you might add a couple of simple craft fur shrimp in tan on a 1 or 2 hook.

Another fly that is good in March is a small pinfish pattern about 2 inches long, also you won,t go wrong if you call The Back Country Fly Shop in Vero 772-567-6665 - the owner is a very good guide and the shop has been in business for over 20 years.

Another fly that is good in March is a small pinfish pattern about 2 inches long, also you won,t go wrong if you call The Back Country Fly Shop in Vero 772-567-6665 - the owner is a very good guide and the shop has been in business for over 20 years.

As soon as I get down there I will be calling him. Thanks- do you live there.or something.

I live 30 minutes north of there and fish the Vero down to Ft Pierce area of the Indian River quite often. The grass flats on this part of the river yield some of the largest seatrout (6 to 9 lbs.plus) along with reds and snook, in the spring time of the year. I have also tied speciallty flies for the Back Country Fly Shop in the passed.

Ditto what everyone said about the Backcountry, an awesome store for sure. For flies, typical flats flies work well. I like pretty much anything with finn raccoon, arctic fox and/or rabbit. All white or chartruese/white is good when the water is clear. Baitfish and mullet imitations work well on the flats and shrimp patters for the docks are good

I have a place in Naples and have fished there for many years in spring and early summer. Backcountry is the shop to go to. If you cant make it there right away bring these flies with you just in case. All of them have produced snook, reds, lady fish, and trout for me in Naples on a regular basis. If you just want to fish the beach early early morning is best (IMO) fish are not as spooky and your shots are much closer then in the middle of the day or evening. If your walking the mangroves I like to fish incoming tide. On a falling tide I would fish the flats off of Wiggins Pass. Bring these flies as a starter and Backcountry can fine tune you once you get there. I will be down there in March as well. Good Luck

MidnightMinnow_zps89579fda.jpg

My go to snook fly... "Midnight Minnow"

EPFingerMullet_zps8f9ab1bf.jpg

EPMangroveBaitfish_zps47aa96e8.jpg

Two really good mangrove snook and red flies... for the darker water (EP Finger Mullet / Mangrove Bait fish)

EPShrimp_zpsa298fd20.jpgEPShrimp2_zps4114700d.jpg

And some must have shrimps for those pickier laid up snook... (EP Shrimp varieties)

I nt know anythingabout salt water fishing, what are some almost sure fire places to go to that fish will definitely be at?

Find places with grass bottom, oyster bars, mangroves. If you find a place with all 3, you're in the right area. Look for mullet and/or any other baitfish.

Bkatz ummm... If I do fish the gutter system for snook, what do I look for in the water that would hold them. Same foronthe beach do I cast randomly or do ilook for any thing? Thanks