Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iFly

Parachute Adams

This year ill be going to school at Clemson; it's about a 45-60 min drive to mountains and streams that hold trout. Now, here's the problem. I mainly fish saltwater and this will be my first trout fishing-atleast on my own so I need to start making the switch over to trout fishing instead of salt for redfish. Needless to say the flies are a "little" bit smaller and different. So I've been told I need to be tying some parachute Adams...here's the question, does the post/wing part that sticks up matter what color it is? I've watched some tying videos and calf tail seems to be a material to use for this along with some others. I only have chartreuse calf tail, if I make the post out of this instead of say, white, will it make a difference?

At one time, calf tail (or more often calf body) was the specified post material. Synthetic posts are increasingly popular. Cheap, no stacking required, and minimal bulk at tie-in point. Turkey flats work well, too. You may already have other options in your tying kit.

Parachutes float low in the water. The post's purpose is probably as much for the angler to locate the fly as it does to represent a wing. With glare on the surface, a white post will sometimes be less visible. A "hi-vis" post in chartreuse or other bright color may work better at times.

I use three or four strands of Krystal Flash doubled on itself, so I actually have six to eight strands. I find that the Krystal Flash reflects more light helping me find the fly on the water.

Hi iFly,

I use poly yarn for all of my parachute adams. On larger flies I tie it in under the hook shank, on smaller ones above, and it doesn't take the entire amount of yarn width that you're clipping off the card, just a portion of it . I use white, orange, and pink. It's way easier to work with than calf tail. I don't use brown and grizzly mixed for the wing hackle either, just grizzly, which technically makes it a Gulper adams, but it works just fine for catching fish.

Regards,

Mark

Short answer it doesn't matter. Use a color you see best

White yellow orange pink black chartreuse are all visible under certain light conditions

It depends on the time of day. Low light bright color and if there's a glare black works better for me. Tie them in a few colors and see what you like best

Jeremy

First of all I would really like to say that I seriously disagree with flytire. It does,in fact, matter what color a post is. If you take a sparsely hackled Adams, or any parachute for that matter, and look up through the hackle, you can see the post pretty clearly. Now if you take a heavily hackled parachute and look up through the hackle as if you were a fish, it is much harder to see the post. The posts of parachutes are all originally the color of the wings of the bugs they are meant to imitate. Also note the not only is the post on a s

Sparse hackled fly more visible, it tends to sit lower in the water, thus making the post more visible,making the color matter even more. Water clarity and the water structure(ripples, pools, bubble lines, log jam holes) also play a role in how important the color of a post is. Cloudy water, doesn't matter as much. Clear water, it better be the natural color. Pools, natural wing color. Ripples, doesn't matter. I hope this helps.

Matt

You nailed in Matt. Fish can see the post. They also see the wings on dry flys. Yes, people obviously catch fish with fluorescent pink posts, but I'm sure there are fish put off by that sort of thing. So does it really matter? It all comes down to confidence. If a guy is confident in a 4 inch glow in the dark post, and he is happy with the fish he catches, then that post is the right one for him.

Mike.

If you go to cabelas I'm sure you'll slam the rainbows they have in a tank with a flourescent post! Lol

Thanks y'all for all the input! Really appreciate it, it's like starting all over again and I have tons of questions that I'm sure ill figure out over time

If you go to cabelas I'm sure you'll slam the rainbows they have in a tank with a flourescent post! Lol

Hahahahaha