Fly Tying
Pujic

Match the Hatch Challenge # 1

Ok guys,

As discussed in our first thread, I'm going to be posting some close-ups of various insects periodically in hopes that as many people as possible will post a pattern designed to imitate the natural. Just like matching the hatch.

It doesn't have to be super realistic, or anything even close. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please don't hesitate to speak up. The more discussion we generate about techniques and materials the better. We're all here to learn smile.gif

The first set of photos can be found below. These rather big, freaky looking nymphs are a staple food of trout and bass everywhere so I thought they would be the perfect place to start. The top photo is of an actual dragon fly nymph I found under a rock in a pretty steady flowing cold water trout stream this Summer. The second photo is of an exoskeleton of a dragonfly nymph found by the shore of a Northern Ontario brook trout lake. Notice how much wider the nymph which came from the lake is compared to the specimen found in the stream. With that in mind, it's important to remember that there is always a wide variance of size, shape and color in nature, so being spot on to what you see in the photo may not be as important as one may think.

user posted image

user posted image

I'm looking forward to seeing what we come up with!!!

Nick

Wow, nothing like a serious challenge, how bout something easy like spiders? Just kidding, I'm going to try and do the bottom dragon photo. That critter looks like an alien.

Graham

Nick,

Just a thought......would you be able to place a measured scale (in. or mm) in the photos? Might help with tying these bugs up.

Art

Great suggestion gentlemen. I wasn't thinking when I took those photos this past year. I will try to take all future photos with a little ruler next to the bug.

In the mean time both of these bugs above were approximately an inch long. I've seen larger nymphs in the same creek though, some measuring about an inch and a quarter or so.

Sorry about that,

Nick

I briefly started mine before going to work this morning, trying to frame the body shape and some raffia and glass beads for eyes. I'll work on it again this evening.

Graham

user posted image

I'll be thinking of making this fly at work today, should I cover the body with feathers or foam? I think foam would look more realistic?

Graham

This is a super cool thread. This is actually the first picture of dragonfly nymph I've seen. I'd also like to see a scale for this insect, if you were to guess at least what size hook this would be tied on. My guess would be a standard 14. I think a PM Wiggler would work for this pattern, tied in green with some of the marabou pulled over the back for the shell and some hackle tied in as legs.

That is a very nice start Graham, I think you nailed the outline of the shape quite well. I'm planning on building up the underbody with some type of open cell foam, and the using latex for the body. Not sure how I'm going to work the spikes in there yet.

I'm going to start with a size 8 nymph or streamer hook and go from there. Size 14 is too small. This bug was at least an 1" long. wink.gif

Dragonfly shucks found on my dock at camp measure approximately, depending on the type of dragonfly:

3/4 - 1 3/4" long

3/8 - 7/8" wide at the widest part of the body

3/16 - 1/2" thick at both the thorax and split where the adult emerges

Head- 1/8 to 3/8" long X 3/16 to 3/8 or 7/16" wide X 3/16 to 3/8" thick

Eyes can be anywhere from a little under 'BB' to '00' shot size.

Legs approximated to body size

Some of the shucks I see look like they belong on meathooks.