Fly Tying
chugbug27

Happy Birthday Louis Armstrong

My favorite DJ at WWOZ, the local radio station here in New Orleans, put on a nice birthday tribute for Louis Armstrong in honor of his birthday weekend and Satchmofest.  The DJ calls herself the Secretary of Swing. Here's her set today, for anyone who likes Louis Armstrong, likes old jazz, or maybe is just curious.

http://www.wwoz.org/listen/archive/show.php?date=2022-08-07&time=6PM

John Boutte sang it at the Sunday mass in Treme at St Anthony's before the big Satchmofest parade. It was pretty spectacular. 

Louis was simply the best.  If you ever need to define the term "virtuosity"  you need do no more than play the opening bars of West End Blues.

As the son of a Jazz musician who played thousands of shows from Vaudeville through the early 1980's I grew up with Satchmo records.  in 1971, as a little kid it was the first time I remember seeing my father genuinely sad when Louis passed.    

I have a very white, blond haired friend who can karoke Louis  Armstrong like you would not believe comes out of his mouth. He's only good for one song, two at most though. He says doing that sound wrecks his throat and I believe it. He used to sing in a band but did not do Louie with the band though.