Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

Black Ghost

Hook-Mustad 3665A, thread-black, tail- yellow hackle fibers, body- black floss with silver embossed rib, throat- yellow hackle fibers, wing- 4 white saddle hackles with jungle cock nails (needs another coat of head cement)

Next fly up Bumblepuppy- any version

blackghost.jpg

1 minute ago, cphubert said:

Black Ghost

Hook-Mustad 3665A, thread-black, tail- yellow hackle fibers, body- black floss with silver embossed rib, throat- yellow hackle fibers, wing- 4 white saddle hackles with jungle cock nails (needs another coat of head cement)

Next fly up Bumblepuppy- any version

Nice job!

Just a great job on all of these patterns !  I'll take the Bumblepuppy if no one minds. This one is a little late, but here's a pic of a slightly different version on a Smoky Mountain Blackbird that I believe is no longer on the net. This place used to sell specially dyed starling pelts to use on Yallerhammers, but they're gone now. 

1575134828_SmokyMountainBlackbirdSofthackleblackharesmaskdubbingandstarling.jpg.c32195192df9945b615799a8d4764bfa.jpg

On 7/10/2023 at 4:37 PM, mvendon said:

dyed starling pelts to use on Yallerhammers

I've been watching the juvenile starlings and thinking they would dye yellow very nicely.

Here it is finally. I worked on it here and there during the week when I got a chance. My camera isn't doing too well with it's memory card so this pic is going to have to be good enough. 

Bumblepuppy   One of T. Gordons variations.  Hook is an Allcock 2811 size 6,  Tag - silver tinsel and red silk,   Tail - red Ibis back to back feather slips,  Butt - Yellow silk chenille,  Body - white silk chenille with medium silver tinsel ribbing,  Throat- badger,  Wing - Polar bear under, double white swan slips over, Shoulder - Widgeon  tied longer than the badger, JC cheeks with Rice's 4/0 black silk for the head..

Next up :  A Rat Faced McDougal 

IMGP1594.thumb.JPG.e7678a9c0ff98b8704b8704758474fd0.JPG

16 hours ago, mvendon said:

Bumblepuppy

Wow, nice. Theres alot going on there. I think I may tie that just to see how it looks when wet. 

5 hours ago, niveker said:

Wow, nice. Theres alot going on there. I think I may tie that just to see how it looks when wet. 

Thank You !

After 35 minutes of more searching this morning, I found my two ziploc bags of Widgeon, so it's definitely teal that I used for that fly. It just amazes me how often you can't find something when you're looking for it, but when you don't really need it, there it is !  I had already looked in that same bin yesterday as well and just didn't see both bags of them right near the side of it. 

Regards,

Mark

Rat Faced McDougal 

Hook - size 14 2XL 

Thread - 140 UTC white/ UTC 70 tan

Tail - Moose body

Body - Natural brown deer body hair

Wings - Grizzly hackle tips

Hackle - Brown/Grizzly 

This was a fun one to tie. I can always use hair spinning and trimming practice.  I took some pictures like a normally do with my iPhone SE and the fly in the vise and then I held it against a gray lap top case and took pictures with my iPhone. Pretty big difference. Actually I find it amazing what a gray back ground does. 

NEXT FLY - TELLICO NYMPH

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_8075.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

IMG_8068.jpeg

IMG_8067.jpeg

Hi Poopdeck,

For a size 14 that came out excellent! It has a nice balance between the amount of hair for the body with a nice pack and the hackle, with still enough room so the head isn't crowded at all. That pattern just popped in my head since this thread has been going for quite a while now, and it's surprising that it hadn't been on the list. Nice pics of it as well.

Regards,

Mark