Fly Tying

What’s cooking

1 hour ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

a big pan of lasagna

Si mangia bene, Tom.  The only thing you're missing is a crusty loaf of sourdough like I made last week-end.  

IMG20240128102038a.jpg

On 3/23/2024 at 8:56 AM, niveker said:

Perfect weather in New England for a sourdough loaf. 

IMG20240323114758.jpg

That's a good looking loaf.  Good oven spring.  How was the crumb?

On 3/25/2024 at 11:38 PM, cencalfly said:

How was the crumb?

Thank you.  It was perfect, week before I made a loaf for my daughter home on Spring break, and let it proof too long.  This one more than made up for it.  

My brother-in-law, John is a retired professional baker and he ran the largest commercial bakery on the East Coast which baked all the Langendorf and Entenmann's baked goods for New York City.

I gave him a copy of the original No-Knead-Bread recipe developed by Jim Lahey of the Sullivan Street Bakery in NYC which was first appeared in the New York Times. He called it the best home-made bread recipe he had ever tried. 

Original No-Knead Bread recipe.

https://bittmanproject.com/recipe/no-knead-bread/

There are now many versions of it including faster wait times but the original is the one we still use.

Here are the 3 versions all published by the NYT over the years

Recipe: Original No-Knead Bread 

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery 

Time: About 1 1/2 hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising 

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast 

1 1/4 teaspoons salt 

Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed. 

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. 

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes. 

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger. 

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.  

Yield: One  1 1/2 pound loaf. 

Speedy No-Knead Bread

Time: About 1 hour, plus 4 1/2 hours’ resting 

3 cups bread flour

1 packet ( 1/4 ounce) instant yeast 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Oil as needed. 

1. Combine flour, yeast and salt in a
large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and
stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. 

2. Lightly oil a work surface and place dough on it; fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes more. 

3. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8- quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under dough and put it into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. 

4. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack. 

Yield: 1 big loaf.

Fast No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread

Time: About 1 hour, plus 5 hours’ resting (October 8, 2008) 

2 cups whole wheat flour 

1/2 cup whole rye flour 

1/2 cup coarse cornmeal 

1 teaspoon instant yeast 

1 1/2 teaspoons salt 

Oil as needed. 

1. Combine flours, cornmeal, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. 

2. Oil a standard loaf pan (8 or 9 inches by 4 inches; nonstick works well). Lightly oil your hands and shape dough into a rough rectangle. Put it in pan, pressing it out to the edges. Brush top with a little more oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 1 hour more. 

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread about 45 minutes, or until loaf reaches an internal temperature of 210 degrees. Remove bread from pan and cool on a rack. 

Yield: 1 loaf. 

Charred Coffee rubbed steak-   Over apple wood with charcoal.  Served with roasted beets.

My coffee rub is- equal parts ground coffee, coarse sea salt and coarse black pepper.  Adding coarse garlic won't hurt.  Brush the steak with olive oil and coat liberally.

IMG_0797.thumb.JPG.ca52886a76eafac71ca633d745e00bd6.JPG

IMG_0803.thumb.JPG.3c1eb47907ddc7a788950e0a96f54c61.JPG

IMG_0805.thumb.JPG.bd4b1d904aef2252800be25c4e388d9e.JPG

IMG_E0809.thumb.JPG.2c416d9aea820de8cfcbfb90d2cf0cf9.JPG

On 3/29/2024 at 9:36 AM, SilverCreek said:

No-Knead Bread recipe

Those look like good recipes - sourdoughs are pretty easy simple, but like fly tying and fly fishing we can make them as complicated as we want.   I 've never kneaded my sour doughs and only occasionally will knead my yeast doughs.

Looks like a feast DF!