Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouttramp

Help. What is this?

Ahhh thanks.

Some of my wire spools are a pain in the ***, those look like just the ticket. 

Can’t believe I’ve never seen those before..seen some kind of sort of like those…but not as good.

I make my own with 3/4" binding combs. just cut to size they are cheap effective and help keep dust and sunlight off thread on the bench.

spool.jpg

box.jpg

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

I make my own with 3/4" binding combs. just cut to size they are cheap effective and help keep dust and sunlight off thread on the bench.

spool.jpg

box.jpg

We think alike. It's about time for another go-around.

I wrote about them back in this post in Oct 2021

https://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/97552-peak-rotary-or-griffin-odyssey-spider-vise-for-beginner/&tab=comments#comment-815601

Managing tying thread spools.

If you have some manuals from meetings and conferences that are bound together by plastic binding combs, you can cut sections from the combs to keep tying thread from unwinding.

My hospital has a print shop so I was able to get binding combs in all sizes.

46059816982_1b5826c089_o.jpg

Cut sections from the combs and use them to on your thread spools.

34915026843_95fb0dc98b_o.jpg

I don't use a Norvise but I do use their bobbins. I keep the bobbin spools organize in spool cases. The comb sections keeps the thread on the spools. I use the Norvise bobbin cases as organizers to hold 10 spools each. 

35555724252_90ba01aaf6_o.jpg

Just got these:  Amazon.com: New Brothread 100pcs Thread Spool Savers / Spool Huggers - Prevent Thread Tails from Unwinding - No Loose Ends for Sewing and Embroidery Machine Thread Spools : Arts, Crafts & Sewing. Easier to use than the spiral binders, which also get brittle and break.  Colors good for id if needed.

Thanks, Bob H

Silvercreek, brilliant idea!

You can make your own and it's easy to do.  I made them for my tippet spools and if you use smaller diameter tubing it works better for thread spools.