Fly Tying
Gray Ghost

What vise is this?

I see several potential problems with the vise.

The length of the jaws is unusually long and will put more of stress on the jaws.

Secondly the jaws seem to tighten with a knob rather than with a lever action. This limits the ability to tighten the jaws and the ability of the vise to hold hooks.

I suggest you test the vise by putting both a small hook like a size 20 and then a larger hook like a size 2 into the jaws and see if the fise holds the hooks adequately.

13 hours ago, niveker said:

Griffin Superior 3ARP,  no longer made, I believe.  

https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=109535

Don't know more than that.  

It is a Griffin Superior 3ARP.  I own the very same vise, minus the P which I believe stands for pedestal.  I inherited my vise from my father and I’m guessing it is 30 years old. It was my fathers primary vise and it’s been my primary vice for about the last 8 years. It is a rock solid vise with incredible hook holding ability. 

13 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I see several potential problems with the vise.

The length of the jaws is unusually long and will put more of stress on the jaws.

Secondly the jaws seem to tighten with a knob rather than with a lever action. This limits the ability to tighten the jaws and the ability of the vise to hold hooks.

I suggest you test the vise by putting both a small hook like a size 20 and then a larger hook like a size 2 into the jaws and see if the fise holds the hooks adequately.

I see no problems. The length of the jaws look like mine and they are not stressed. The jaws do in fact tighten with a knob  and to say this limits it’s ability to tighten the jaws to hold hooks is flat out wrong.   Personally, I think it’s a better and more secure mechanism then a lever for holding a hook. you insert the hook, tighten the small knob and then tighten the larger knob. It’s takes about the same time as tightening a lever and probably less effort since you don’t have to crank down on either knob. It’s a great design and I often wonder why it’s not used more. 

I also have a regal, and the griffin holds a hook as solidly as the regal does. The picture is it holding a 3/0 Mustad SW hook. I’ve tied down to a 22 on the Griffin and I’m sure you can go smaller if you want to. I just never had a need to tie anything smaller. assuming it’s not a Knock off, it’s a great vise. How much are they asking for it? If the price is right I would snap it up in a heart beat.

252FAF55-2D9C-48BD-8180-69488FCE435B.jpeg

43C6B5B3-C726-410A-90D4-A2A56F87DE24.jpeg

No it’s a regular rotary. Don’t let that effect your decision, true rotary is a nice feature, I guess, never had it, but overrated. HOW MUCH?

I had my eye on one of those back in the day.  I ultimately bought a used Dyna-King Pro off of eBay; however, the design of the vise is utilitarian and it probably holds hooks with a death grip due to the long design of the jaws. Griffin made quality products back then.  It's a keeper IMO.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:55 PM, Poopdeck said:

It is a Griffin Superior 3ARP.  I own the very same vise, minus the P which I believe stands for pedestal.  I inherited my vise from my father and I’m guessing it is 30 years old. It was my fathers primary vise and it’s been my primary vice for about the last 8 years. It is a rock solid vise with incredible hook holding ability. 

I see no problems. The length of the jaws look like mine and they are not stressed. The jaws do in fact tighten with a knob  and to say this limits it’s ability to tighten the jaws to hold hooks is flat out wrong.   Personally, I think it’s a better and more secure mechanism then a lever for holding a hook. you insert the hook, tighten the small knob and then tighten the larger knob. It’s takes about the same time as tightening a lever and probably less effort since you don’t have to crank down on either knob. It’s a great design and I often wonder why it’s not used more. 

I also have a regal, and the griffin holds a hook as solidly as the regal does. The picture is it holding a 3/0 Mustad SW hook. I’ve tied down to a 22 on the Griffin and I’m sure you can go smaller if you want to. I just never had a need to tie anything smaller. assuming it’s not a Knock off, it’s a great vise. How much are they asking for it? If the price is right I would snap it up in a heart beat.

252FAF55-2D9C-48BD-8180-69488FCE435B.jpeg

43C6B5B3-C726-410A-90D4-A2A56F87DE24.jpeg

Will my AARP card get me a discount on that? Lol

On 1/13/2023 at 8:41 PM, chugbug27 said:

🤔

image.png.e1f1db47002edcbadeab8c8e23dad0b8.png

Are you tired of your dyna king already, chug? 😉

No, I'm loving it. Loving it. 

I was actually just pondering the idea presented to the op that tightening jaws with a knob is somehow some kind of a "design flaw"... 🤔

image.png.94785e229a7b16a741c5e7293ea44c15.png

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

No, I'm loving it. Loving it. 

I was actually just pondering the idea presented to the op that tightening jaws with a knob is somehow some kind of a "design flaw"... 🤔

image.png.94785e229a7b16a741c5e7293ea44c15.png

Got it. You digging those midge jaws i hope. I had a griffin with knobs, held hooksjust fine until it decided to spit hooks instead of holding them.

Yes indeed! One of these days I'll get my act together enough to send you a care package as well

Oh crap, now both my Regal and Griffin spit hooks. Oh boy, I guess I should have bought a renzetti. Wait, they spit hooks too. Dang it. 

On 1/13/2023 at 8:41 PM, chugbug27 said:

🤔

image.png.e1f1db47002edcbadeab8c8e23dad0b8.png

I've seen a Law vise, but never tied on one...