Fly Tying
DWSmith

MY beginner's questions on tying panfish flies.

After lots of reading, lots of videos, and lots of questions here (sorry guys!) I finally placed a couple of online orders for what I need to finally get started on tying some panfish flies.  Along the way I also picked up a few old Thompson vises that should be fun to use.  And now that Easter is over, much to my wife's dismay I have temporarily set up my tying area on the end of the dining table.  I'll move to the basement pretty soon.

I'll just concentrate on the basics and getting good at 3 patterns.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Thanks all!

Careful… I was in the same boat last summer- just wanted to try some panfish flies…. 

I now am out of storage space and we’ll, addicted. Looking forward to seeing your creations!

11 hours ago, Squeezy said:

Careful… I was in the same boat last summer- just wanted to try some panfish flies…. 

I now am out of storage space and we’ll, addicted. Looking forward to seeing your creations!

I have been warned!  Thanks. :)

I have also been warned about VAD (Vise Acquisition Disorder).  I'm up to 4 now.

Give me a year and either I'll be in interventions or 12-step programs.

Oh, and thanks gadabout.  I'm trying my best to have fun.

In general, which sizes of hooks do you find best for panfish flies?

In one of my books it has recommendations for hooks by species so I purchased some hooks based upon those recommendations but I'm getting ready to place another order and I want to know what you experts recommend.  (I did take notice of hooks sizes for some of the flies shown in this thread just to let you know.)

Thanks,

Dan

About what Rick said, sometimes down to 6. The larger hooks will keep the smaller fish caught to a minimum, though they'll still try.  

Many times I tend to overthink things like this.  Overthinking is fun but it can lead to analysis paralysis.  :D  So I asked you guys for your opinions.

So far all I've bought are #10 hooks.  I thought about getting some #8 hooks but I read that there may not be enough difference between #8 and #10 to make it that worthwhile so I was thinking of getting some #6 hooks.  At times I get tired of the dinks so #6 would help with that but #6 may be a bit big for the average Bluegill.  Maybe I should have picked #8 for the size.  (See what I mean about overthinking???)

Anyway, #10 is probably a good enough place to start.  Besides, I doubt any fish have read the books I have read.

Here's what the book recommends;

Bluegill          #8, #10

Crappies        #8, #10

Yellow Perch  #6, #8, #10

Rock Bass       #4, #6, #8

#8 is common to all of those but I hardly ever see any Rock Bass (a.k.a., Goggle-Eye) around here so I chose #10.

Thanks for your input guys!  Sounds like I'm on the right track.

3 hours ago, gadabout said:

I’d go with 10 and 12.  My “go to” bluegill fly is a #12 McGinty.

Thanks!  👍

I don’t really match hooks to the species but generally speaking, smaller fish smaller hook but hooks sizes also vary between nymphs, drys and streamers. My  bluegill are small. I prefer 12 and 14. When I go Bluegill fishing I just want to catch bluegills. Size doesn’t matter, I’ll take the big ones and the small ones. I’ll go 12 to 6 for crappie, perch and such. If I want to catch big fish then I’ll go after a larger species like stripers, catfish and carp.