Fly Tying
DWSmith

Fiberglass? Well I never ...

Just getting back into this I wouldn't have thought that fiberglass rods would have a following.  I like my fiberglass rod and like it that others like theirs.

Are people just getting out the old rods they had when they were younger or are there advantages to them so that manufacturers are making them again?

Lots of very good new glass out there, I have a 3/4 Steffen bros. rod that is awesome. There’s a website devoted to fiberglass fly rods, it’s not hard to find and lots of good info.

Mike.

Both I have my old favorites Shakespear Wonderglass a few Fenwicks ,, and a awesome new glass rod from Midwest Custom. The new glass rods are great.

I still have my 50 (as best as I can recall) year old Berkley Cherrywood C40-8' for 7 wt line.  I don't know if it was ever considered a decent rod but I taught myself fly fishing from books when I was a teenager using it.  I have good memories of using that rod.

Glass has several advantages over graphite.   It's better at fighting fish, and it's much harder to break.  It's (sometimes) easier to make a delicate presentation with. And it's cheaper than split cane.

Add that to the fact that many of us prefer casting glass to graphite, it's not surprising that it's made a comeback.

For situations where a a rod of eight feet or shorter is appropriate, it's hard to beat glass.  

Modern glass isn't even all that slow.  My Orvis Superfine Glass is faster than many of my graphite rod.

I wouldn't want to use it in a Euro nymphing rod, but I fish both vintage and modern glass quite a bit.

I have a heddon mk4 8ft. 6/7wt. Beautiful rod that fishes well. Martin  67sa reel great combo.

Then I have a herter 8ft. 6wt. Rod that my grandfather made from blanks. Craftsman ship even after 60 years holds up well, no issue, reel is a martin 65

Edited by john1962
Spelling

1 hour ago, john1962 said:

heddon mk4

Those were some really beautiful rods back in the day.  Does it have the walnut on the grip?

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Those were some really beautiful rods back in the day.  Does it have the walnut on the grip?

Yes

20240314_134337.jpg

Oh baby,  that's a beaut.  Love the rich color of those older fiberglass rods, the foil under the spiral wraps, and look at that grip and reel seat, a 2 piece of course. Woo hoo! Those were the days.  Yours looks like it's in great condition. Thanks for the pics. 

Check out CTS glass rods out of New Zealand. I built an 8'6" 5 wt. on their "Quartz" model glass blank, and it is one of the sweetest rods I've ever fished.