Fly Tying
DWSmith

6 weeks have passed.

I had major back surgery (decompression and fusion of L3, L4, and L5) and have just completed the 6 week surgical recovery period today.  I have a metal cage and grafted bones (some bones are mine and some are those of a cadaver) in my back.  I see the surgeon Monday and hopefully he will lift my restrictions.

I was told Wednesday by my referring physician that it can take up to 18 months for improvements to the nerves from the surgery to happen.  After that it won't get any better.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I want to be able to stand up on my own 2 feet to fly fish and putter around in my basement workshop.

I can waddle (I don't call it walking.) down to my pond with a cane but I can't stay balanced on my feet to fish without a cane.  I have to fish sitting down either in my jon boat (which is okay on my pond) or from a folding chair (which may be okay from a dock).

While I'm going through these 18 months you will see me writing much more about tying flies than casting flies, which is appropriate for this website anyway.  This is why.

Not looking for any sympathy and I don't mean to be a whiner.  I'm in no pain and I've had this progressive issue for nearly a decade so I'm used to it ... sort of.

Figured that since I retired in January and the issue was going to put me into a wheel chair I may as well have the surgery and hope for the best.

I am slowly seeing very minor improvements and it's still very early in the process.  This website helps keep my spirits up.  Thanks guys!

FWIW,

Dan

Back issue are hard. Luckily I have only had very minor issues with mine a few times in my life, but I remember how when I did have issues, it made just about everything I tried to do so much more difficult. Hopefully the improvements come quickly and you can get out and start enjoying yourself soon Dan.

Nerves are overrated. I had back surgery in 1990. Best thing I ever did as I have been able to work and retire twice and start a 3rd job. I do have permanent nerve damage that has given me a numb left foot and no use of my left calf. It’s been  32 years since my calf worked so it’s whittled itself down about half the size of my right leg. I hobble a bit but move around just fine and so will you in just a little more time. My suggestion is to get out every day and walk and walk some more.  I walk 5 miles every night minimum because keeping trim is the best thing you can do for your back. Good luck in your continued recovery. 

Many of us here have or know people who've had back surgeries.  One of the consequences of getting old.  The most common thing I've heard from those I know, is the ones who've recovered the best stuck to an exercise regime.  As Poopdeck said above, keeping active and using those legs will get you back up on them and keep you up on them.

Good luck.  Good to hear you're not in pain!

36 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Good luck.  Good to hear you're not in pain!

The doctors  can't understand why I've not been in pain from the condition my back was in but for once in my life I'm one lucky son-of-a-gun!

My restrictions have been lifted.

The surgeon said he has only had a few people who have so little or no pain.

I told my wife that the surgeon said I need to keep active so he wrote me a prescription for a kayak.  I don't think she believes me.  She knows me too well.  :D

2 hours ago, DWSmith said:

I told my wife that the surgeon said I need to keep active so he wrote me a prescription for a kayak.  I don't think she believes me.

Tell her Doctors do sometimes have patients use rowing machines in physical therapy .......so....there's that 😄

3 hours ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

The best doctors write prescriptions for kayaks but restrictions on doing dishes and laundry 😁

SWMBO was almost ready to kill me the way it was.  This would have caused my death!  :D

On 4/8/2023 at 12:16 AM, DWSmith said:

I had major back surgery (decompression and fusion of L3, L4, and L5) and have just completed the 6 week surgical recovery period today.  I have a metal cage and grafted bones (some bones are mine and some are those of a cadaver) in my back.  I see the surgeon Monday and hopefully he will lift my restrictions.

I was told Wednesday by my referring physician that it can take up to 18 months for improvements to the nerves from the surgery to happen.  After that it won't get any better.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I want to be able to stand up on my own 2 feet to fly fish and putter around in my basement workshop.

I can waddle (I don't call it walking.) down to my pond with a cane but I can't stay balanced on my feet to fish without a cane.  I have to fish sitting down either in my jon boat (which is okay on my pond) or from a folding chair (which may be okay from a dock).

While I'm going through these 18 months you will see me writing much more about tying flies than casting flies, which is appropriate for this website anyway.  This is why.

Not looking for any sympathy and I don't mean to be a whiner.  I'm in no pain and I've had this progressive issue for nearly a decade so I'm used to it ... sort of.

Figured that since I retired in January and the issue was going to put me into a wheel chair I may as well have the surgery and hope for the best.

I am slowly seeing very minor improvements and it's still very early in the process.  This website helps keep my spirits up.  Thanks guys!

FWIW,

Dan

Back issues always take forever to recover, hopefully you'll be just fine :D

Had my shoulder(rotator cuff tear) operation last Fall, still recovering(probably going to take another 3-4 month to regain at least 80% range of motion). Hurt like hell in first few month to be honest and worst part is that I had to learn to sleep on my back. 

4 hours ago, Jenkins said:

Back issues always take forever to recover, hopefully you'll be just fine :D

Had my shoulder(rotator cuff tear) operation last Fall, still recovering(probably going to take another 3-4 month to regain at least 80% range of motion). Hurt like hell in first few month to be honest and worst part is that I had to learn to sleep on my back. 

The saving grace for my surgery was the lack of pain.

I got my restrictions lifted Monday and have been living life as normally as I can since then per doctor's orders.  It's amazing how tight and stiff my muscles and joints are but they're loosening up more every day.  (I can tie my shoes now.)  I'm also getting more control of my legs and I'm able to take  walks with a cane around our property with my dog.  <Heaven!>

Life and recent retirement are becoming fun.  I'm definitely on the mend.  :D