Fly Tying
DWSmith

Non-rotary vise recommendations please?

i bought a traveler back in 1989 when true rotary was the next best thing since sliced bread

i used the rotary function for a while and then the novelty somewhat wore off. for many years i never really thought about using the rotary function

but now when i tie hairwing atlantic salmon and steelhead flies, i use the rotary function to get equally spaced ribbing, (yes i can stiil get that without the rotary function) and maybe to wrap hackles on woolys and dry flies

i still recommend a true rotary vise that has a locking function, for those times you want to tie stationary

there are a bunch of youtube tyers that use hmh type of vises and tie pretty damn close to true rotary. the hook may wobble a bit but its not the end of the world

https://youtu.be/iDhIvaI7YH0

Yes that is true.  If you set the HMH vise head so that it is horizontal, you can spin it and the hook shank will remain parallel to itself, although it will be moving in a small circle.  Not a big deal.  But there is always the question of what to do with the thread bobbin when you’re doing that.  One of the reasons I was never drawn to rotary tying is I didn’t want be fussing with a bobbin cradle or anything like that.

1 hour ago, gadabout said:

fussing with a bobbin cradle

They can be annoying at times, the only drawback I have found with rotary tying.  

I mostly tie with a Regal Medallion (rotary but not "true rotary") and like the rotary function for looking at the off side of the fly

I also tie with a DynaKing (rotary but not "true rotary"), Griffin Pro (fixed head) and Griffin 1A fine point fixed head for really small flies)

I have owned and tied with the Renzetti and found (1) I don't like the true rotary and (2) the bobbin cradle is a PIA

I just listed a new HMH Spartan in the classifieds with and extra set of micro jaws and an extra pedestal rod if anyone is interested

I like the rotary function but have found that it helps to put a half hitch on before using it.  This may be because at time I am the worlds largest klutz.

Rick 

2 hours ago, RickZieger said:

I like the rotary function but have found that it helps to put a half hitch on before using it.  This may be because at time I am the worlds largest klutz.

Rick 

I just watched a couple of Norvise videos with Norm Norlander and that guy slapped half hitches on the fly right and left.  I think he's the inventor (?) maybe so maybe it's not you.

Update: Watched some more of his videos.  He's a real gem!  Lots of neat tips and helpful tricks.  Of course all of you guys probably already knew that but I haven't watched him before this morning.

Bought a Spartan with free shipping and a $50 gift card thrown in for free.  Woo-hoo!

Thanks for all of your help guys!

You can get an inexpensive vise with a "rotary" capability.  A "true rotary" can be a benefit to advanced tiers, I suppose.  But the rest of us can use a "rotary"

image.png

15 hours ago, DWSmith said:

Bought a Spartan

Congrats. Give us your opinion after you've tied a few on it. 

18 hours ago, DWSmith said:

Bought a Spartan with free shipping and a $50 gift card thrown in for free.  Woo-hoo!

Thanks for all of your help guys!

9pxT.gif

2 hours ago, DWSmith said:

looking at least a little different from that Norm

You should see the dubbing he sheds!  :rolleyes:

Well, the more videos I watch the more I see the Traveler being used without proper adjustment so the hook shank is not staying on a fixed axis  They're using it like the Spartan works.  I'm not criticizing but just saying that it looks like a rotary is plenty good enough for me as compared to a true rotary.

i never get a hook 100% on a true inline axis and i certainly will not fiddle with the hook until it is on a true inline axis.

if it wobbles a tiny bit off center i dont really care. it doesnt hamper me tying flies and probably hundreds of other tyers either

1 hour ago, DWSmith said:

Well, the more videos I watch the more I see the Traveler being used without proper adjustment so the hook shank is not staying on a fixed axis  

did the tyers in all of the videos you watched finish tying the fly with this major error?