Fly Tying

3 hours ago, flyflinger said:

DFoster,  

I am actually very surprised, nay, stunned at your experience!  I'm guessing you got an inexperienced (Covid temp?) employee processing your reel.  You should have been treated better.  A new reel would not have surprised me.  I bet a letter to Orvis with your above story would result in a proper outcome.

Regards,  

Thanks FF, I've considered a letter and still may send one, (squeaky wheel gets the grease).  The trouble is I've been fishing the returned reel a lot and it's working perfectly so the repair experience isn't really on my mind.   I own quite a few Orvis items including an Access II reel, pro waders, fly boxes and I still fish wearing the  classic Super Tac L Pac Vest from the 90's. They all have performed with no issues at all. 

There's some truth to the covid statement my coworker made.  I bought a pair of Korkers Wraptr wading boots during the lock down which one review stated "you may never need to buy a wading boot again - ever".  He should have added "unless you purchased them during the covid lock down". Within a few weeks one of the rivets holding the eyes in place fell out. I lost a second one this spring.  I called the company and they said that I could send them back BUT know that the repair shop was closed and that it might be a long time before I got them back.  I went to Michaels and bought some leather rivets and fixed the problem myself.  At least I'm stocked up for when the other 22 fall out.  😏 I noticed the other day that the material on the side of each boot has split through.  Again I can fix the issue with some JB weld but damn it these boots are only 2 years old and stored properly when not in use. 

Besides fishing gear my wife and I have had several covid lock down purchases for our home go South.  I glad things are slowly getting back to normal.

Concur, things are somewhat getting back to normal, but with caveats:  Availability/supply is improving, but in many cases quality is not.  Prices also seem to remain inflated with lots of excuses about availability of raw materials.  For instance, why should hooks cost so much more than just a few years ago? (there's no shortage of steel).  In my other world of ammo reloading, supplies of powder and primers completely dried up during Covid, and prices increased dramatically.  Now supplies are recovering but the prices are not - powder double in price, and primers triple.  

Regards, 

5 hours ago, flyflinger said:

Concur, things are somewhat getting back to normal, but with caveats:  Availability/supply is improving, but in many cases quality is not.  Prices also seem to remain inflated with lots of excuses about availability of raw materials.  For instance, why should hooks cost so much more than just a few years ago? (there's no shortage of steel).  In my other world of ammo reloading, supplies of powder and primers completely dried up during Covid, and prices increased dramatically.  Now supplies are recovering but the prices are not - powder double in price, and primers triple.  

Regards, 

Everything is 30% more expensive since Covid.   Inflation is crushing Americans right now.

Here's a different way to look at "inflation"... For some years now the different leaders of our country have been de-valuing our currency -our money is simply worth less.... ($2000 an ounce gold.... means each dollar is simply worth less...  that gold isn't worth more - our money is worth less - a lot less...). 

The guy in charge up in D.C. now- when he isn't busy with family stuff - has dramatically increased the rate of our money being worth less, and less, etc.  Hope we can turn this around - but can't claim I'm particularly confident about our prospects - no matter how bad our current situation is... it CAN get worse...

POTUS has no control of the value of US currency or the US budget.

The last time I checked the US Constitution, it is the US Congress that determines the US budget sends the budget to POTUS to be signed or vetoed. POTUS has no actual power to modify the budget.

https://www.usa.gov/federal-budget-process#:

The value of US currency is determined by the US federal reserve, an independent federal agency.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/what-us-federal-reserve?

The cost of goods is determine by those who make and sell the goods.

https://www.inequalitymedia.org/the-truth-about-inflation?