Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Upper Mississippi River

My wife and I did a float with noted guide, Kip Vieth yesterday. It was almost too beautiful. Temperature mid 80s, blue skies, and no wind. My view of the Mississippi changed 15 years ago when I started fishing with Kip. Clear water, many bug hatches, and a variety of structure. Kip had said fishing was tough after a sudden drop of flow over a two week period that went from 20,000 cfs to 4,000 cfs. We did catch some fish and had a great time. We tried all the usual flies and caught fish on all of them, but there was no particular pattern. Even though we floated past many homes, we only saw two other boats all day and only one of those were fishing. 
IMG_1671.jpegIMG_1670.jpegIMG_1669.jpegIMG_1663.jpegWe were pleased we were able to fish a whole day for the first time this year and not get sunburned. We had a good long sleep last night and only a few aches and pains today. 

Man, life is good for you and the wife these days. You get to float the Namekagan and the Upper Mississippi River with good guides. When I lived in the Twin Cities the Mississippi was one of our favorite spots to both boat and wade fish for smallies, walleye, and mixed bag of other species. Now just take a trip on the St. Croix and I really ride along with you mentally. Happy to see you enjoying your time so well and thanks for the pics. 

Nick, 

we hope to float the upper St. Croix later this month. Hopefully my descriptions and pictures will trigger some of those memories. 

Great report and here's tip from one of Lefty's books... On days with good sun - but your angler's face is in shade... Turn on your flash on that camera - even though it's daylight.  The flash will fill in some light onto your subject's face and add a bit to any photo... When I can remember to do that - I get some great photos that way...