Fly Tying
Upstate

Senko fly material

Does anyone have a good source for material to tie a senko worm fly? I’m looking for the yarn/chenille 

thanks 

i have used patons bohemian chenille since 2010 its been discontinued since 2018. its used  by rainys on  richs  ultimate worm.  closest ive come to it is cozy occasion yarn  or furl some  yarn bee faux fur then trim it.     good luck  rich

Thanks for the info. I found some of the patons bohemian yarn. Can’t wait for it to get here now 

Here's a couple of "Senko Flies"  I tied up using Hareline Large UV white Squishenille.  I twisted two strands together for the body.  Colored them with permanent markers to match some Senko colors.  Still trying to figure out how to get Green Pumpkin.  I tied them on 1/20 oz Senko jig heads.  I usually fish Senkos on jig heads..

DSCF1082.thumb.JPG.a62941b8366d8d3b8ae616d4bed34e8a.JPG 

DSCF1123.thumb.JPG.7947945d5a24762917e0f4513e012bc8.JPG

Plan to use them on my trip to Ontario in late August.  I'll see how they work.

Chenille Yarns at Ice Yarns Online Yarn Store

I've only tied with the Safari blends.  They look and perform just like Patons Bohemian series.  Same size, texture, and have a four-strand synthetic core that melds well with the microfibers when melted with cigarette lighter when making the tail.  The yarn is inexpensive.  The shipping from Turkey, not so inexpensive.

IMG_3869[1].JPG

IMG_3870[1].JPG

Snapshot.JPG

Edited by Zeke_WYO
Materials I recommended not hold up.

LionBrand has synthetic chenille that glows in the dark.  It is available in white, lavender,  bright green and grey.  However it is a flat yarn, not fully round like a bottle brush. The white is by far the most luminescent, with green then lavender.  Grey is meh.  I got mine locally at Meijer, but many craft and big box stores carry LionBrand and it’s commonly available online.

There are some reviews with videos at the link. I was going to experiment with braiding or weaving to get a rounder profile, because the glow is pretty cool.  It wraps around a hook or tube nice and fluffy when palmered. 

I also have the Natural glow yarn (normal non fuzzy yarn) which is also used in the video of the toy with the big ears.  natural glows well and the strands can be split down to smaller threads.  Natural and Chenille are made out of polyester.   Good luck, LL  (ps. I rolled them around a bit under a light, so they do look a little different, but they are in the same order. Edit)

https://www.lionbrand.com/products/diy-glow-chenille-yarn

https://www.lionbrand.com/products/diy-glow-natural?_pos=1&_sid=82f9e6532&_ss=r   

IMG_6579.thumb.jpeg.6619fc97388f986069de8ad694696cb1.jpeg
IMG_6581.thumb.jpeg.1c35dccfceacb0b66264677d7cb21131.jpeg

Edited by LisaLou
Add more info

I have seen some decent chenille worm patterns but senkos are a different animal.I catch dozens of bass every season on senkos.The weight and wobble is what makes them so unique and versatile.Rabbit zonker makes a so-so worm but bass just don't hang on to and swim away with anything i have come up with.If you worm fish for bass it is a feel the bite watch the line kind of fishing not easy to do with a flyrod.Top water and streamers are a different story.Crayfish patterns are good too.A bass really studies a worm and even if they inhale it they can spit it faster than an angler can react.This of course is my opinion but i have caught 100s and 100s of bass in my  days.I will be more than happy to fish a worm/fly that works but have not been very sucessful myself.

pull forward folds back stop retrieve it bonces back to this shap with some shaking. 

wacky worm.JPG

Do these work well?  Not trying to be a smarta##.  One of the deals in the gear fishing world is that a true Senko has not been really  duplicated even with other plastics. It quivers a special way on the fall and is soft and salty.  

However, these would seem to me to work, but I agree with the above post, nothing works like soft plastic.  Some even cast small plastic lizards and worms with a fly rod and some cast flies for warm water under a bubble.