Fly Tying
flytire

Fly Tying Tips and Tricks

Just saw on a video. When wrapping wire on a hook, after you are done,  use a file to take some of the material off on the end toward the bend to make a taper.

He did this over about 2-3 wraps of wire.

Rick

@RickZieger

why not post the video

i have no idea what you are talking about. use a file?

I am making the switch to Solarez UV resin to finish the heads on my salmon flies. I always admire the superb finish on Norm's wets and want to get that same quality on my flies. Before getting started I do have a couple of questions. How long does it usually take for the resin to cure under the UV light? Is it better to cure t under direct sunlight?

Thanks in advance.
George

44 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I am making the switch to Solarez UV resin to finish the heads on my salmon flies. I always admire the superb finish on Norm's wets and want to get that same quality on my flies. Before getting started I do have a couple of questions. How long does it usually take for the resin to cure under the UV light? Is it better to cure t under direct sunlight?

Thanks in advance.
George

I've found Solarez bone dry to take about 10 seconds to dry hard.

31 minutes ago, Sandan said:

I've found Solarez bone dry to take about 10 seconds to dry hard.

Thank you sir...much obliged.

i hit the head with the cheap light i have and a couple of spins with the renzetti and its cured

5-10 seconds tops

solarez bone dry and a cheap light

yqbuCFu.jpg

1pEqaET.jpg

26 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Thank you sir...much obliged.

My pleasure. BTW, that bone dry is good stuff.

On 3/15/2024 at 2:32 PM, SalarMan said:

Thanks in advance.
George

George- you can get a $10 UV light from Cabela's and I told they are even cheaper on Amazon.  I had the $40 Loon Light and the only difference is that the cheap light uses 3 batteries instead of a single for the Loon and it takes a few seconds longer to cure the UV.

Dean

Thanks Dean...but I have what I need in the way of a light I received as gift. I just wanted an early look at the process so I knew what to expect.