Fly Tying
flytire

Fly Tying Tips and Tricks

For cutting wire flush I like to use cuticle clippers.  The angle of the blade is perfect and at $5 they save my expensive scissors. 

CLIPPERS.JPG.45668d2c87c30c19634a62678df9a91c.JPG

Snipping the brush bristles was one of the most helpful tips I got when I first started tying. 

I use a Renzetti applicator jar with needle applicator. The jar seal sits on the bottle top so keep the head cement form evaporating while you are tying.

OIP.jpg.3260ce44d986e6a7dc4e3444ad4cc9db.jpg

16 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I use a Renzetti applicator jar with needle applicator. The jar seal sits on the bottle top so keep the head cement form evaporating while you are tying.

OIP.jpg.3260ce44d986e6a7dc4e3444ad4cc9db.jpg

SilverCreek. I have one of these buried somewhere.  Curious as to what you are putting in it, how high are you filling it and do you put petroleum jelly or anything else on the gasket seal?  AdTHANKSvance.

I use regular head cement or Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails.

It's been awhile since I filled it. I fill it up to about 1/2. I use Beauty Secrets Nail Polish Thinner to thin the Sally Hansen's when needed.

Read this thread:

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/thickened-head-cement.368253/#post806870

Thanks!  I’ve been a fan of the alcohol based fly-tite product for several years.  It has a pretty good shelf life compared to most but I’m sure there as as many favorites as there are products.

When tying soft hackles, to have consistency in hackle length between flies, take feathers in a line across the hen neck or partidge..  

Place double sided tape on the matt or table and tape stems of the feathers you will tie, along with pre-cut Chenille, tinsel, etc., to have the materials for each fly ready when tying several of the same fly.  This bit of prep time improves efficiency when tying several flies in a session.  This also helps keep these items from flying off the table when a door is opened or your cat jumps onto the table.

If you use a plate behind your vise, use a paper clip ot two to fasten a sheet of thin foam  in whatever color gives the best contrast for the fly.  This often improves visibility compared to the white plate.

Brush on glue before wrapping herl or tinsel bodies to improve durability.

If you don't have rubber tubing to place on a hackle pliers tip to improve grip, you can slide the tip into a hollow piece of feather stem.  It works surprisingly well.

A piece of spinner wire with right angle piece or curve at the end works well as a tube fly mandrel when tying narrow diameter tubes. Just place it so the bend is at the "head" of the fly.  These fit in standard hmh type adapters.