Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Took brothers fishing

Two of my step brothers came up from Minnesota for some fishing NW of Sitka.

They were fishing with conventional gear and I was fishing with fly gear. Some of these fish were caught on fly gear, but none of the halibut were on this trip.

20230722_100845.jpg

The first of three halibut we caught that day.

20230722_113455.jpg20230722_120109.jpg20230722_134614.jpg

Joel and Jon with one days catch.

20230724_132434.jpg20230725_093519.jpg

Some of these fish were caught on fly gear.

20230725_162333.jpg

We had proxies for two people so we were able to fish for 5 people on five days. Everyone had a lot of fun.

20230725_162337.jpg

Heck of a mixed catch. I know what Halibut look like (doesn't everyone) but tell me more about the other fish. Are these all for personal use or do you commercial anyone of them? What's with the four fingers in the pics. Is there a trout in one of the pics (or more)? I'm envious by the way.

40 minutes ago, vicrider said:

Heck of a mixed cath. I know what Halibut look like (doesn't everyone) but tell me more about the other fish. Are these all for personal use or do you commercial anyone of them? What's with the four fingers in the pics. Is there a trout in one of the pics (or more)? I'm envious by the way.

Halibut, yes. The four fingers means day four.

The black ones are Black Rockfish, the red one is a Vermilion Rockfish. Off the end of the vermilion rockfish, on the left end, is a Silver-grey rockfish. Above the vermilion and the silver-grey is a silver salmon. The big long brown ones are ling cod. The red striped fish is a Tiger rockfish (we have about 36 sub-species of rockfish in Alaska.

These are all for personal use, they were all sport-caught, it's not legal to sell or use sport-caught fish for commercial  use.

We eat and share an awful lot of fish because we love to fish so much. All of these fish and pretty much all the fish we catch are filleted, vacuum packed and put in the freezer within an hour of hitting the beach.

Nice to talk to you.

I love halibut. My wife went to the fish market this weekend to get some Halibut but she came home with cod. No fresh Halibut to be had in my parts. Good for you guys! Great trip!

On 7/28/2023 at 3:22 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Man that looks like a great time with family Mark. And that stripped rockfish is beautiful!

We have 36 different sub-species of rock fish in Alaska, I have caught about 20 of them. Some of them, like the tiger rockfish are very pretty, and some people think some of them are ugly. I don't.

https://i1.rgstatic.net/publication/282367954_Poster_Rockfishes_of_Alaska/links/560f211008ae483375178ddd/largepreview.png