Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Writing this from moose stand.

Moose are such beautiful animals. Always fun running across them up in Northern MN like vicrider mentioned. I've seen them up in Alberta as well, but I'm sure the Alaskan moose and their size are another level of incredible. 

Happy hunting! 

5 hours ago, SalarMan said:

I've shared space with mom's and calves on Atlantic salmon rivers in the past...and always gave them plenty of room!!!

So...Did you get a moose?

Thank you, I did. This one.

20230915_202010.jpg

Thanks a lot every one. Yes, this is a large one. The full grown bulls range from 1000 to 1200 pounds and this one is on the upper end of that.

Thanks again.

Nice moose Mark. Will be some good meat in the freezer. Is the rut already started in Alaska? Another week or so for the rut here in the Yukon, hopefully my freezer will be full also. I just used up the rest of last years moose 2 weeks ago and made jerky, 20lbs worth.

Congratulations Mark. Like mentioned, the real work starts now. Lots of hauling meat for the winter and beyond now.

A moose story from the past. Myself and two friends of mine were walleye fishing a small lake in northern MN in an overcrowded 12' boat with my very unreliable old Elko 3hp motor. A bull moose decided to cross the lake not too far from us. One of the guys said fire up that motor if it'll run and let's get a closer look. Well we got up behind that bull as he was closing in on the far shore and he kept glancing back with an unhappy look. We were almost to shore when he quit swimming and stood up turned on us. Fortunately we had given him enough room to charge us but not reach us and luckily that old motor kept going and we did too. Funny in retrospect but gave us all a good scare.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:51 AM, upnorthtier said:

Nice moose Mark. Will be some good meat in the freezer. Is the rut already started in Alaska? Another week or so for the rut here in the Yukon, hopefully my freezer will be full also. I just used up the rest of last years moose 2 weeks ago and made jerky, 20lbs worth.

Well, the courting had started at the time of that picture, but not the rutting, as far as I know. We just got back from the last week of the season and didn't see any evidence of actual rutting at all.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:11 PM, vicrider said:

Congratulations Mark. Like mentioned, the real work starts now. Lots of hauling meat for the winter and beyond now.

A moose story from the past. Myself and two friends of mine were walleye fishing a small lake in northern MN in an overcrowded 12' boat with my very unreliable old Elko 3hp motor. A bull moose decided to cross the lake not too far from us. One of the guys said fire up that motor if it'll run and let's get a closer look. Well we got up behind that bull as he was closing in on the far shore and he kept glancing back with an unhappy look. We were almost to shore when he quit swimming and stood up turned on us. Fortunately we had given him enough room to charge us but not reach us and luckily that old motor kept going and we did too. Funny in retrospect but gave us all a good scare.

Thanks for the story, we have a lot of those floating around here too.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:55 AM, Mark Knapp said:

but not the rutting

Got some moose in my freezer also. This guy was in a few scraps as you can see. There was no cows to be seen so there's a bigger 1 around. 57 inch spread. Thr young fellow was the trigger guy, his dad my boss next to him and im taking the pic.

moose1.thumb.jpg.342c4bb61117e6c71c9c5a13e570e10a.jpg