Governor-Alvord-1080.jpg

Governor Alvord

Tail - Dark scarlet
Body - Peacock herl*
Hackle - Brown
Wing - Slate married to cinnamon*
Trout - Ray Bergman

Don Bastian Note

* The Governor Alvord has the unique status of being the only peacock herl-bodied fly in all of Ray Bergman’s books with a married wing. When two colors are listed for a married wing as on the Governor Alvord the sections are normally equal in width.

Klinkhammer hook. Pheasant tail tail, black flash for body and wing case , dubbing with hen hackle for legs thru it for thorax, bead chain eyes.

Rick 

DSCN4366.JPG

Mark, that dragonfly is a beauty. How do you store them?  My mind pictures something similar to a magician pulling a dove from his sleeve when opening a box full of these.  

Norm, I appreciated the editors note.  Makes you think about how many patterns do include peacock herl.  I’m sure there are hundreds of patterns that do.  

did some more steelhead tying tonite.  There are based of the Steelhead Nymph I saw on tightlinevideos channel.  

IMG_1538.thumb.jpeg.4e9f5c8776bd754324550a7636d2e870.jpeg

Martin_1080.jpg

Martin

Tag - Gold tinsel *
Tail - Yellow and black – married **
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Yellow floss
Hackle - Deep yellow
Wing - Widgeon or gray mallard ***

Trout - Ray Bergman

Don Bastian Notes

* The gold tinsel tag is not listed in the Trout recipe, but it is visible on the color plate.
** The written recipe for the tail is ‘yellow and black-alternate.’ Differing from the usual listing for a married tail, Dr. Burke’s painting indicates a separation at the end of the tail, revealing a married tail of yellow and black with left and right sides.
*** The wing may also be teal.

Norm,

Excellent work as always.  Could you please share your technique for mounting the wings while keeping the head small and the tips perfectly aligned.

Thanks, Bob H

Ukraine-1080.jpg

Ukraine

Thread - White
Tip - Gold tinsel
Tail - Blue over yellow duck quill
Ribbing - Blue uni stretch
Body - Yellow uni stretch
Throat - Blue over yellow hen hackle
Wing - Blue over yellow duck quill
Head - Blue and yellow sharpie marker

21 hours ago, Heff2 said:

Mark, that dragonfly is a beauty. How do you store them?  My mind pictures something similar to a magician pulling a dove from his sleeve when opening a box full of these.  

Norm, I appreciated the editors note.  Makes you think about how many patterns do include peacock herl.  I’m sure there are hundreds of patterns that do.  

did some more steelhead tying tonite.  There are based of the Steelhead Nymph I saw on tightlinevideos channel.

I'll store the dragon flies like this.

20231015_144209.thumb.jpg.6cc57bc5a3685a00f912cd42c688f7aa.jpg

Nice flies yourself. They look like Teeny flies to me. Good job.

Well this certainly makes more sense.    Seen quite a few recommendations for these over split foam boxes. Another item for the shopping list.

@BobHRAH

I try to find for 2 feathers that look similar in shape and size and pair them up, dull side to dull side and tips to tips

image.png

I then strip away the fluffy junk at the bottom of the feathers

image.png

Then I measure the feathers to be about a hook shank long and strip away more fibers to get that length

image.png

I position the feathers on top of the hook shank and while holding with a firm grip, I do a soft loop with the tying thread around the butt ends of the feathers and pull up with the thread to tighten around the feathers. I then do 3-5 tight wraps of thread, take a deep breath 😁 and then I’ll remove my finger to see how the wing is positioned. If satisfied, I’ll regrip the feathers and come in with scissors and trim the butts off. (if I’m not satisfied, then I’ll unwrap the thread and start all over)

image.png

Then I’ll build a small head with tight wraps of tying thread. I start to build the head directly behind the hook eye and wrap back towards the wing in touching turns of thread to cover all of the trimmed ends of the feather. (I’ll spin the bobbin holder counterclockwise to get a ribbon of thread in lieu of a rope of thread) Whip finish and coat with uv resin.

image.png

Heckham-Red-1080.jpg

Heckham Red

Tip - White floss
Tail - Turkey brown
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Scarlet floss
Hackle - Brown hen
Wings - Bittern or light brown mottled turkey

Trout - Ray Bergman