Fly Tying

How strong is it?  It's pretty simple and would  seem to be the last word in tying on a 16 and smaller and doesn't take up as much space as a clinch.

Yellowstone Angler Tippet Shootout shows that knot strength depends on the tippet material used and the X size of the tippet material used when different materials are compared. Some knots are are weaker or stronger than other knots depending on the tippet material and X size.

The Davy is one of the weaker knots in this test.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout/

800.top_.6.fly_.knots.thumb.jpg.9fb77d20b32fa0dd77e5311b583854de.jpg

Here's what they say about the Davy knot:

"The Davy knot was developed for one purpose – speed. In fly fishing competitions, lost time means lost fish, and often lost competition.  Once you practice this knot it can literally be tied in a few seconds.  Once your muscle memory is trained, you can even tie the knot without looking at it, allowing you to watch for rise forms.  It also uses up very little material.  Like the Orvis knot, when you pull this tight there is less friction.

The only problem we found with the Davy knot was its knot strength.  Reportedly, it is supposed to test nearly 100% break strength.  Our data revealed it breaking strengths to be reduced by as much as 40-50 percent.  For example, Rio Fluoroflex 2X has a straight pull break strength of 11.19 pounds. After averaging 6 Davy Knot breaks (or slips), breaking strength was reduced to 5.32, which is roughly 52 percent weaker. 

Bottom line:  This knot is super fast and wastes very little material, however it tested weaker than a wind knot.  Unless you are in a competition where time is of the essence, (or fishing to 8 inch trout) it only makes sense to pick a stronger fly knot "

I don't see the 16/20 (Pitzen/Eugene) knot listed. Maybe goes by yet another name in the chart?

That said, I use the Double Davy most of the time, with the 16/20 on occasion with tippet 4x thru 7x, landed many +20" brown trout and have no significant break-off problems. I think that the rod has a tremendous influence on broken off fish when the tip does not flex to meet the weight of the tippet.

For tight line nymphing I have been fishing a T&T Contact II for a number of years now and find it far superior to a half dozen other rods I have fished with its ultra flexible tip and strong backbone.

My opinion: the best knots to use are those you feel confident tying. For me those are, in no particular order: double Davy, non-slip loop, improved cinch. 

I probably change flies more often than most so I like the Davy knot but it has limits.  I use it most often for upstream dead drift presentations when dealing with generally small fish although I did land a 20" Rainbow on a Davy once.  IMO it's a good knot to know but as mentioned it's not the strongest out there.  I try to avoid hard hook sets with Davy knots and play larger fish carefully.  I find it most useful when tying a dropper on a piece of tippet that has gotten a little to short.  Because of it's simplicity it's ideal for cold days and frozen fingers.  When fishing streamers, swinging wets or fishing where I know there are larger fish I use a clinch knot.