Fly Tying
RickZieger

When ?

When did it change from anglers and angling to fishermen and fishing?  Also is thee a reason for this?

Thanks for any info to answer the questions.

Rick 

64 years old and I've been fishing since I was 6.  It's always been "fishing" and "fishermen".  I didn't know it was called "angling" and "anglers" until I was in my 20s and in the military.

Since the bible has references to "fishers of men", I will assume that fishing and fishermen might have preceded the other.  There's always been the desire to make everything seem more important or more prestigious than it actually is by calling it fancy names.  Seems to me people did the same with fishing and fishermen.

Might be due to regional terminology.  Also, 'angling' sounds a bit more pretentious than 'fishing' so maybe that's it.

It’s always been “fisherman” and “fishing” for me.  I’ve always considered “angler” to be too literary and have never used the term.

19 hours ago, gadabout said:

It’s always been “fisherman” and “fishing” for me.  I’ve always considered “angler” to be too literary and have never used the term.

You’re obviously a practical man Gadabout.🙂