Fly Tying
El Bishop

Tube Fly Vise Recommendation?

I haven't seen any recent threads on this.  What's the best tube fly vise out there?  I'm partial to Renzettis so leaning that way unless there's a good reason not to.

Thanks!

Years and years ago... before "tube vices" or gadgets meant to convert a regular vice into one that would work with tubes...  I came up with a solution that actually worked fairly well when  I needed to do up a tube or two (and I won't mention what I used in lieu of tubes meant for that purpose...).  Pretty simple really - I took  a stout 4/0 hook, snipped the ring eye off then mounted that hook in my vise, slipped the tube in place on the shank of my improvised tube vise,  and was in business.  All that was needed was to hold the tube in place with my serving hand then do a few very tight wraps with the thread bobbin - to compress the tube just enough that it wouldn't turn while I tied up the pattern... When completed, I pulled the tube fly off of the improvised mount and placed the next tube in place for tying... 

6 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Pretty simple really - I took  a stout 4/0 hook, snipped the ring eye off then mounted that hook in my vise

I think up north they call that Yankee ingenuity. In Florida it's called common sense? In New Orleans I'm calling it pure genius.

My dad was a depression era kid and never forgot those hard times when you made do, improvised, etc.  Although he accomplished a lot and went a long way from his very modest beginnings, everything I learned from him has influenced my approach to problems - all these years later.  He could time an engine by ear, lay a line of brick perfectly straight, do any kind of plumbing, electrical, woodworking.... Quite a guy - what few skills I have come from that sort of background.  When the big war came along he volunteered for the draft, winding up in the Engineers - then went on to make a 28 year career, rising through the ranks, then to OCS...  Something just not possible in today's Army.   It's been more than 30 years since he passed - and I think of him most every day...

That Stonfo tool that Flytire posted is clever!  HMH makes one as well:  https://tyingvise.com/product/hmh-tube-fly-and-shank-tools/

. . . and both are considerably cheaper than buying a Marc Petitjean Swiss Vise Master which comes with a set of the tube fly adapters.     

Regards,

22 hours ago, flyflinger said:

That Stonfo tool that Flytire posted is clever!  HMH makes one as well:  https://tyingvise.com/product/hmh-tube-fly-and-shank-tools/

. . . and both are considerably cheaper than buying a Marc Petitjean Swiss Vise Master which comes with a set of the tube fly adapters.     

Regards,

I’ve been using the HMH one for a while and it works great. Certainly cheaper than a specialty vise, but I don’t tie a ton of tubes to warrant that investment even if it did

I use the HMH tool.  For small tubes I use a cut off piece of spinner wire.  The crook pushes back on the front of the tube to hold the tube in place.  Similar to Captain Bob.

I use a hair Bobby pin.  They are flat metal and I already crimped to grip the tube.  I just straighten it out into one long piece and snap off the excess. Sometimes I have to crush the dab of glue on the tip to make it small enough to fit inside the tube, then file each end a bit so it’s not sharp. The flat metal is easy for the vise to grip.  Bring a tube with you to the store and see if it’s the right size before you buy a pack of them.  Better yet, ask among family and friends and get an assortment of brands, a they all vary slightly.  I got tons of them and found the dollar store ones are the cheapest and also the thinnest and smallest overall.  You can just make more crimps or less as needed until the tube fits.  
LL