Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
agn54

First attempt at a comparadun

I need practice to get the wing just right. Not sure about how much hair to use for the wing. I used muskrat for the dubbing. Is there a favorite dubbing to use, or just any dry fly dubbing?

As you can see, my photography skills are even worse than my tying skills

IMG_3157.jpeg

IMG_3156.jpeg

The fly and the photos look good to me - nice fan from the front, and narrow from the side.  I suspect Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi would be quite satisfied with your efforts.  Your problem is going to be finding a trout to eat it in Gainesville!  The town has changed a lot since I graduated from the University of Florida in the late 70s, but I suspect any trout are still somewhat north of you . . .      

Regards,  

13 minutes ago, flyflinger said:

The fly and the photos look good to me - nice fan from the front, and narrow from the side.  I suspect Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi would be quite satisfied with your efforts.  Your problem is going to be finding a trout to eat it in Gainesville!  The town has changed a lot since I graduated from the University of Florida in the late 70s, but I suspect any trout are still somewhat north of you . . .      

Regards,  

You ain't kidding. This town has changed immensely since I first moved here 20 years ago, especially these past few years. I live here and don't recognize half of it. Unfortunately, they haven't started stocking Hogtown Creek with trout yet! 

That looks good to my eye.  Dubbing doesn't really matter to me, other the color.  I like Mr. Craven's style of tying them, I think they look better once you master tying in the pre-cut deer hair technique:

https://youtu.be/ltrBEV-KCV4

Excellent first attempt. Nice fan on the wing and splay on the tail. 

Any dry fly dubbing will do. It's all about using an appropriate hair for the wing.