Fly Tying
clip

Para posts (does size really matter)

getting a little bit personal on this thread

lets just get back to the original question or it could be locked up

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Really?

Aren't you the guy who spends hours tying one fly, posts a photo, and then tells us he still has to 'preen' it.  

The only idiotic nonsense I've read in this thread is by the guy who once again felt the need to boast about his 'fly fishing resume' and then ridiculed us for discussing fly tying methods on a board devoted to discussing fly tying methods.  

HA HA HA. Just bustin' them a bit...and I knew I'd piss somebody off. Believe me I am not all that serious.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:39 AM, niveker said:

Really?

Aren't you the guy who spends hours tying one fly, posts a photo, and then tells us he still has to 'preen' it.  

The only idiotic nonsense I've read in this thread is by the guy who once again felt the need to boast about his 'fly fishing resume' and then ridiculed us for discussing fly tying methods on a board devoted to discussing fly tying methods.  

If I offended anyone regarding their tying methods or ideas...I apologize.

What I found crazy was the concept that knowledge can be passed on though one's genes. My reaction to that was a simple...say what!?!?  If that were true I'd be able to play the trumpet as well as my late father...and that ain't happening 😂

31 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

If I offended anyone regarding their tying methods or ideas...I apologize.

What I found crazy was the concept that knowledge can be passed on though one's genes. My reaction to that was a simple...say what!?!?  If that were true I'd be able to play the trumpet as well as my late father...and that ain't happening 😂

You should do some reading about epigenetics and how the expression of our genetic code is regulated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

https://www.cdc.gov/genomics/disease/epigenetics.htm

"Epigenetics is the study of how your behaviors and environment can cause changes that affect the way your genes work. Unlike genetic changes, epigenetic changes are reversible and do not change your DNA sequence, but they can change how your body reads a DNA sequence.

Gene expression refers to how often or when proteins are created from the instructions within your genes. While genetic changes can alter which protein is made, epigenetic changes affect gene expression to turn genes “on” and “off.” Since your environment and behaviors, such as diet and exercise, can result in epigenetic changes, it is easy to see the connection between your genes and your behaviors and environment."

I'm done here, cancel my account I'll find  another place to ask questions in the future 

Hi @Clip,  to get to your original question.  The size of post matters less than the material used in regards to floatation.  I use the hook eye tip for a gauge,  it helps me keep the flys proportionate by size.  If you want to quick check you can tie a few with varying posts and drop them in a glass of water.  It will give you clear picture of how the differing posts impact the float for the fly.  

Admittedly, things got a little off the rails in this post,  it happens but it’s a rare occurrence.  I hope it doesn’t deter you as you indicated,  I’m sure it was frustrating from your perspective but on my end it was pretty amusing.  

like Ian Anderson frOm dressed irons says” Remember….. It’s Fly Tying….. If you’re not having fun, You’re Doin’ It Wrong.”

15 hours ago, clip said:

I'm done here, cancel my account I'll find  another place to ask questions in the future 

no dont quit. give the forum another try

threads sometimes goes off on a wlid scientific tangent every now and then that has nothing to do with an original question being asked

just use your best judgement when sizing the diameter of a parachute post. fish dont count fibers 

3 hours ago, flytire said:

no dont quit. give the forum another try

threads sometimes goes off on a wlid scientific tangent every now and then that has nothing to do with an original question being asked

just use your best judgement when sizing the diameter of a parachute post. fish dont count fibers 

Norm - Thanks for echoing what I said to Clip in a PM. This is a great site and deserves a fair shot from a newbie.