Fly Tying

My office chair i use at my bench is about worn out.  So, today, I went looking for a replacement.  I didn't intend to spend a whole lot of money for a great looking swivel office chair, so I went to Habitat for Humanity to see what they had.  I found a good chair with small a bald spot on one of the arms for ten bucks.  So i'm at the bench with something to sit on. Wheels great, and I'm not proud.  A new chair would cost $300 or more. 

I love thrift store shopping.  It’s the best way to go.  I got my fly Rod at a Habitat store!

Good find Gene.Got myself a similar deal at a yard sale.After my stroke the old straight backed desk chair from the 50s was killing my back after 20 minutes.I was a construction worker for 40 years and never spent much time at a desk unless tying flies.Now i can sit comfortably for a few hours.

My funny story . . . years ago I was helping clean out an old Boy Scout storage hut, and they threw away an old oak swivel chair.  It was a beauty even if old and worn.  I checked with the person in charge, and they were quite sure it was just trash.  So I took it home to use at my tying bench which is a very old oak roll-top desk - both had that aged wood patina and I was very happy with the match.  I sat down to check out the chair, and soon found myself on my back on the floor staring at the ceiling - the rearward tilt support was shot!  I was able to rearrange an adjust the swivel/tilt/spring mechanism so it was "fairly" stable.  I just learned to (not) lean back too abruptly and everything else worked fine.  Last year it got replaced with a more modern desk chair with lumbar support, which I find suits my aging back better.       

Regards,

$10 bucks is great Gene, nice find!  My current chair came by way of a little good fortune. A few years ago my employer moved to a new location, downsizing our office square footage by half.  The president of the company said "If anyone wants to take a chair or two home go ahead, otherwise I have to pay someone to get rid of them".   These were really good quality commercial office chairs and he didn't need to ask me twice.  Many things can interrupt my fly tying.  The granddaughters need me to watch Frozen for the 27th time,  the dogs need to get outside or bad things will happen,  my wife wants to know why are the smoke detectors are going off,  members of the local nudist colony are at the door for their annual membership drive,  there's a black unmarked helicopter landing in the driveway..... but not once have I had to stop tying because my chair was making me uncomfortable.  For that I am grateful 😉

Great find Gene,   I'm in the market for a new office chair(for work) myself.  I'll have to stop by the Restore near me to have a look.  

Speaking of Frozen, I was getting my ice fishing gear out a few weeks ago to prep for the season and I ended up trying the three point stool to tie some files.  I liked it,  I've always found it to be easier on the back while on the ice and I found it makes me sit straight up when tying too.  The Mrs can't believe I would sit on this at all but this chair combined with a stand I made for my fishfinder has really taken the ache out of my shoulders and neck after a day on the ice.  Doubt it will be permanent because I do like having a wheeled chair for rolling to my tying material shelf.

1599515753_icechair.thumb.jpeg.0f89833303b32c0ed372849c79fb576f.jpeg

I do have 2 young daughters who love Frozen, going to see a live action performance with them tomorrow and I've been told to dress up as Kristoff.  

For any tyer with back problems at the bench... I highly recommend you take a look at what I call  "Danish knee chair" with no back at all.  I find it allows me to work at the tying desk for hours without any back problems since it forces you into a posture that relieves most of the stress on your back entirely...