Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

I love to go ice fishing.

I love to go to the fish house, that's where all my Twinkies and Hot Pockets are.

It's warm in there, it'll be thirty below outside but it can still be 70 degrees inside the house. Without the house, your guides will freeze on your rod for sure.

I have a ceiling fan in there so all the hot air doesn't stay at the top of the house. With the ceiling fan, your feet are as warm as your head, and your ice-hole doesn't freeze up.

My motto for ice fishing is, "If you're suffering, you're doing it wrong". In fact, that's becoming my motto for just about everything these days.

23 hours ago, cphubert said:

I just want ice to fish on rain and warm temps may have killed the start we had.

I haven’t seen ice in 6 or 7 years. I’m about to liquidate my ice fishing stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I haven’t seen ice in 6 or 7 years.

Nothing last year, this year only fringe ice so far, I won't go out till I have 6" and all locked up. a few where fishing on it with 3-4" on the edges and one went thru... still a lot of open water

50 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I haven’t seen ice in 6 or 7 years. I’m about to liquidate my ice fishing stuff. 

That's a bummer. Last I went, we had 20 inches.

I've never been an ice fisherman myself, although if I lived near you Mark I think that would change. I'd have no issue at all fishing in your iced house😎. Around here in Michigan the ice fisherman are not too happy this year. We did have a week of real cold weather where ice formed (down to sub zero) but now the past couple days its been 40-45 and rain. Saw on TV yesterday where they had to recuse a guy that decided to try to go out.

It’s been tough start to the ice season here on southern Ontario too.  Got out a couple times for perch and sunfish but no deep water stuff is safe yet.  

I did get some nice sunfish on a squirmy worm jig my daughter made me.  Some decent perch and a surprise PB burbot on another trip.  IMG_2189.thumb.jpeg.309d83c0b8adac00fcf518fe017200ae.jpegIMG_2201.thumb.jpeg.54cd152375ce076aa2bcfd95cb40d77c.jpegIMG_2191.jpeg.2afdce89ec89770da439a01d39a6517b.jpegIMG_2191.jpeg.2afdce89ec89770da439a01d39a6517b.jpeg

IMG_2192.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Heff2 said:

I did get some nice sunfish on a squirmy worm jig my daughter made me.  Some decent perch and a surprise PB burbot on another trip

👍 if you are struggling for ice, I'm probably not going to have much of a season

On 1/25/2024 at 8:07 PM, Mark Knapp said:

My motto for ice fishing is, "If you're suffering, you're doing it wrong". In fact, that's becoming my motto for just about everything these days.

One day I hope to get to your level of on ice luxury, that hut is pretty sweet.  For now I’m a walker with a popup hut for the cold or windy days.  

22 hours ago, Heff2 said:

One day I hope to get to your level of on ice luxury, that hut is pretty sweet.  For now I’m a walker with a popup hut for the cold or windy days.  

It's 44 below today, we'll not be fishing this morning, but if you come up in the winter some time, I'll take you fishing.

Had a nice fish fry on the ice today.  Life doesn’t get much better than that.  Caught a bunch of Jumbos and some Sunfish. They were quite fond of some glow jigs I made up last week.  IMG_2247.thumb.jpeg.9beb9775ad03c45c88df2edcdcf8a30f.jpegIMG_2188.thumb.jpeg.67d5aca7c59a8cdb4d3791b112aef9f3.jpegIMG_2204.thumb.jpeg.c854f2298a5ac5638e79cfe13bc1883f.jpegIMG_2206.thumb.jpeg.34e1f0e287eecc430446b55df9847489.jpeg